Possible Errors with Grub?? Compression algorithm 104 not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techcrew

Cadet
Hi

Re: FreeNAS 9.10.2-U1.iso

I have recently installed the latest version of FreeNAS on to a 8GB USB drive for my NAS.

The installation appears to install OK, however when booting from the USB, I receive the following messages: (see attached)

GRUB Loading
Welcome to GRUB!

4x error: compression algorithm 104 not supported
2x error: unknown device 264865096
1x error: unknown device 264865096

Grub seems to then load fine and I receive the console setup screen as normal.

FreeNAS Errors.PNG

Please can someone tell me what these errors mean? Is the USB drive faulty? Am I able to ignore them?

Thanks

Techcrew

D

dlavigne

Have you tried installing to a different stick? Does the error go away if you do?

ler

Dabbler
Just installed my new box onto a dual mSATA adapter (appears to be a jmicron chip), as a hardware RAID1.

System installed fine, and was up and running. All of a sudden it rebooted and now I get this compression algorithm 104 not supported. The good news is I hadn't put any data on it.

what forensics would iXsystems like before I rebuild it?

ler

Dabbler
Interestingly, I let it sit, and it booted -- No tracks (that I can see) for anything I did (no zpool upgrades, installed from the 9.10.2-U1 ISO tonight (CST).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pmbsilva

Cadet
Hi,
Just did a fresh install this week and got the same exact error after a reboot. It's a completely different system from the one's stated above, just a spare computer that was laying around in the office.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue? I'm going to try a fresh install on another system (more stable too) to check if it happens again.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

My system is suddenly exhibiting the same behavior. It started ~2 days ago after no problems for 1 month of operation. The symptoms are the same, delayed startup to grub with these messages:

2x error: unknown device 394392
1x error: unknown device 394392

This is on a Dell R510 with mirrored USB boot drives running 9.10.2. It adds ~3-5 minutes for the system to boot, but FreeNAS runs fine once up and running.

ler

Dabbler
I've since moved the system dataset back to the data pool. I still see the errors, but there is no delay. This is with the latest 9.10.* nightlies (I had gone to Corral and back)

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Thank you for reply, but still not clear for me. :smile:
Could you please report step by step what you did?

Unfortunately, I got the same error after a clean & smooth installation from a USB stick.

The installation was on a PC (Old P4) I started to configure the box as I created the first volume "/mnt/vol01" and share it as Windows SMB , the first thing I found that I am not able to access it on from the network just the share was appeared and it never accepted the password authentications with many tries!

I though it need to be rebooted, and it was the last thing! the box was not reachable on the LAN anymore, and I connected the monitor and found this "Lovely message" X4

Code:
error: compression algorithm 104 not supported

I believe its an old post, but I would appreciate your input in this issue!

Thanks,
Mahmood Shehab

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.