SOLVED Installer console setup freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCDecaux

Cadet
First off, apologies if this is already solved but I couldn't find any posts of this kind :(

This is my first time installing FreeNAS.
I burned the ISO to a USB stick (8GB) using Rufus and managed to boot from that.
However when entering the installer console setup, the whole thing freezes, not allowing me to even choose any options. Neither the mouse or keyboard works, and there are no error messages at all.
Tried running Rufus in both ISO and DD image mode, same thing happened both ways.
Also tried using USB 2.0 and 3.0 for booting with similar results.
Also maybe worth noting; when I tried to remove the keyboard, it started to overwrite the screen with messages regarding the peripheral removals (see image below), so it seems the system wasn't completely frozen, just the installer screen.

Specs:
Motherboard - Asus A68HM-PLUS AMD A68H FM2+ micro-ATX
Processor - AMD A6 6400K
RAM - DDR3 1600 Mhz 2x4 GB
Hard drives - 120GB SSD (intended boot) + 4x1TB HDD

FreeNAS version 9.10.2-U2

Honestly I've no idea how to approach this problem besides console commands. Any help would be appreciated!

jZraR5c.jpg

Frozen at this screen; text appears when plugging / unplugging USB devices

MCDecaux

Cadet
No luck there either, unfortunately. Imagewriter produces the same problem, and Windows USB/DVD Download Tool doesn't accept the image at all (error: Selected file not a valid ISO file)
(According to a guide I found, the Windows tool needs Joliet and UDF file systems as well. So I tried cycling the image through IMGburn to create those as well, after which it was accepted but still failed to create a bootable USB)

Any other ideas? Starting to think maybe I should just try to hunt for a writable DVD and try that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try a different keyboard. Or set it to the basic mode. Corsair's keyboards can occasionally not work very well in basic environments.

MCDecaux

Cadet
What do you know, changing the keyboard actually worked! Thanks!
Never had any problems like that before, so didn't even think of it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Happens every once in a while. My K90 keyboard got a firmware update that added a compatibility mode enabled with some arcane button combination because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.