Installer Black Screen

Corphix

Cadet
Hi there! I'm encountering an issue attempting to install the latest TrueNAS CORE on a brand new system, specs listed below. I have installed TrueNAS CORE on a few systems, but am having some trouble with this one.

Basically I am able to boot into the USB installer, select "B" (or enter) from the menu to begin the install process and then... black screen with a white block in the top left corner.

I have used Rufus AND Balena on seperate attempts, as well as redownloading the image and checking the checksum. I have set secure boot to "Other OS", and the USB is connected directly to the mobo IO, not frontpanel USB.

Mobo: ASUS Z690-CREATOR
Proc: i9-13900K
RAM: Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 128GB
Desired boot drives: 2x 2TB Samsung 980 NvME drives
Install Media: Kingston Data Traveller 32GB USB 3.2

Any suggestions or tips appreciated!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm pretty sure Raptor Lake CPU's aren't supported in either upstream OS just yet. Generally it is a bad idea to buy latest generation CPU's and expect them to work until about a year has passed.

Corphix

Cadet
I'm pretty sure Raptor Lake CPU's aren't supported in either upstream OS just yet. Generally it is a bad idea to buy latest generation CPU's and expect them to work until about a year has passed.
I was afraid of that. Looks like we'll have to go Alder Lake.

Any chance its something else I can test before pulling in another proc?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sure, it's possible. However, Pcore/Ecore CPU's do not have scheduler support and even if they "worked" they would tend to be a bit wonky as a result. It's very possible that may not be the fatal issue here, and that it could be something more basic about the general chipset support, graphics support, etc. Best idea is to see if you can get generic FreeBSD or Linux up and running on it and see what's needed.

Corphix

Cadet
If anyone stumbles accross this thread with the same problem, the problem was solved by switching to older hardware. Also switched from Intel to AMD chipset, to avoid issues with P vs E cores. Now using a 5900x on a x570 mobo with no issues.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yup, this has happened hundreds of times over the years ... so none of us oldtimers are getting excited about it. It's one of the reasons we tend to push used hardware where possible, because this will typically be old enough to run without random "gotchas."

sreeram

Cadet
Hi Team, I am facing the same issue and below is what I am using.

Mother Board: ASUS ROG STRIX 8660-I
Proc: i5-12600K
RAM: 2x8 Kingston fury DDR5 4800MT/s
Boot drives: 500gb Samsung 980 NvME drives
Install Media: tried various USBs

Thanks