Dabbler
Hi guys

Marry Xmas and Happy New Year.

I am build a NAS system for my home using :

1 x USB CD-ROM to perform the installation
1 x USB stick where the OS will reside
1 x 2TB HDD
1 x Intel Atom Board D2500HN

My problem is that when i try to install FreeNAS x64, the boot loader starts, modules e.t.c are loaded, but the installation does not proceed as it should and i get errors where unfortunately i cannot read them because the letters overlap on a single line on my screen (relevant video posted). No matter what i have tried i cannot reach the colored screen which ask if you wish to install freeNAS.

However i did manage to install the 32bit edition without a problem.

I have read the manual of my Atom MOBO and as far as i understood , the processor is 64bit...since it states "Instruction set 64bit". Why am i only able to install the 32bit edition and not the 64bit?

I hope my question is not that silly ..

You can find the output of my installation process below.

[video=vimeo;56748854]https://vimeo.com/56748854[/video]

Thanks in advance

JaimieV

Guru
Thanks for the movie - that makes it clear.

I think what you have is a video driver problem, so that the whole boot process is succeeding but displaying all the messages in the one line. Unfortunately probably the boot menu too... in which case you can either configure the network blind, or pop in an alternative video card and use that for the first setup.

Or since you're on an Atom, you'll have under 4gig RAM, right? So you could just use the 32bit install.

It's worth logging this as a bug, include the exact make+model of your motherboard (and video card if you're not using the onboard gfx).

tripialos

Dabbler
Thanks for the movie - that makes it clear.

I think what you have is a video driver problem, so that the whole boot process is succeeding but displaying all the messages in the one line. Unfortunately probably the boot menu too... in which case you can either configure the network blind, or pop in an alternative video card and use that for the first setup.

Or since you're on an Atom, you'll have under 4gig RAM, right? So you could just use the 32bit install.

It's worth logging this as a bug, include the exact make+model of your motherboard (and video card if you're not using the onboard gfx).

Thanks for the quick replay JaimieV

Please keep in mind that in the video i am trying to install the OS, meaning that the USB drive is still empty and because i cannot see the color screen where you choose to install and then choose the medium (usb drive) to proceed with the installation.

So if i understood correctly the installation indeed proceeds but it cannot display the options due to some sort of video issue.

Yes i am using a 1 x 2GB DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM hence i assume i will use the 32bit version...not that i have many options since the x64 one gives me such issues.

I also tried to install the OS using the direct USB method (dd tool ) but still the same.

For FreeNAS and its community submitting it as a bug is the least i can do in order to somehow contribute. Could you please guide me with the procedure of how to apply for such bug?

Thanks

JaimieV

Guru
Go to http://support.freenas.org/ and make an account (only takes a moment) and log the issue.

Installing the OS using dd will give you a bootable, installed FreeNAS8 - but you'll still need to configure it a little (networking) before using. I'd say stick to the 32bit for now, it's no problem at all to upgrade later - save your config, install 64bit, load your config. In fact, you can do all that on another machine that doesn't have the same issue with the graphics, then move the stick to the correct Atom machine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is a bug with that exact board. I have this exact board for a pfsense machine. Here's what I know:

1. This bug was created because of a weird interaction with the carriage return character on the video card. This has been fixed in the soon to be released FreeBSD 9.1. Everything prior is broken.

What appears to be happening internally is that a carriage return should take your cursor to a new line of text and scroll any current text up one line if you are at the bottom of the screen. This scrolling up is not happening so the last line is continuously being overwritten with new text.

2. Intel has stated that a number of their boards will only be supported in Windows 7 32bit despite having a 64 bit CPU(how screwed up is that!). Some boards don't even have a Windows Vista or XP driver available for download.
3. The only fix at the present time for FreeNAS based on my experimenting with pfsense and reading up on the issue is to use 32 bit FreeNAS or install the 64 bit FreeNAS on the USB stick using a different computer and then plug it into your D2500HN board and pretend you have no video output. The machine will work correctly despite having garbled the last line of your text.
4. If you don't like the idea that your text is garbled and you are a programmer you may be able to find the fix, put a ticket into FreeNAS and get the fix implemented.
5. Wait until FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9.1, but this could be a year or more away.

My recommendation is to install FreeNAS 64bit on the USB stick using a different computer and then plug it into your Intel board. Unlike pfsense you do not need to have the local video setup to provide initial settings for your WAN/LAN connections. You will need to look up your IP address from your DHCP server however to figure out what IP address to put into your web browser.

Check out this link for a thread I googled and found quickly with some discussion on the freebsd forums...http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31270

Edit: Just found this...http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/166639. So it appears to be fixed in FreeBSD 9.1-RC1. If you know what the last post (vidcontrol stuff) can do and youcan implement mode 27 you may be able to get it working.

tripialos

Dabbler
Your effort is much appreciated

This is a bug with that exact board. I have this exact board for a pfsense machine. Here's what I know:

1. This bug was created because of a weird interaction with the carriage return character on the video card. This has been fixed in the soon to be released FreeBSD 9.1. Everything prior is broken.

What appears to be happening internally is that a carriage return should take your cursor to a new line of text and scroll any current text up one line if you are at the bottom of the screen. This scrolling up is not happening so the last line is continuously being overwritten with new text.

2. Intel has stated that a number of their boards will only be supported in Windows 7 32bit despite having a 64 bit CPU(how screwed up is that!). Some boards don't even have a Windows Vista or XP driver available for download.
3. The only fix at the present time for FreeNAS based on my experimenting with pfsense and reading up on the issue is to use 32 bit FreeNAS or install the 64 bit FreeNAS on the USB stick using a different computer and then plug it into your D2500HN board and pretend you have no video output. The machine will work correctly despite having garbled the last line of your text.
4. If you don't like the idea that your text is garbled and you are a programmer you may be able to find the fix, put a ticket into FreeNAS and get the fix implemented.
5. Wait until FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 9.1, but this could be a year or more away.

My recommendation is to install FreeNAS 64bit on the USB stick using a different computer and then plug it into your Intel board. Unlike pfsense you do not need to have the local video setup to provide initial settings for your WAN/LAN connections. You will need to look up your IP address from your DHCP server however to figure out what IP address to put into your web browser.

Check out this link for a thread I googled and found quickly with some discussion on the freebsd forums...http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31270

Edit: Just found this...http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/166639. So it appears to be fixed in FreeBSD 9.1-RC1. If you know what the last post (vidcontrol stuff) can do and youcan implement mode 27 you may be able to get it working.

tripialos

Dabbler
I would like to thank everyone for your time put forth in order to help me.

This is the first time i install such a system and i am very glad that even before i setup my home NAS i see such action in the support forum.

There are other projects OSes/Tools etc and their support is very poor compare to their popularity.

Thanks everyone once again

tripialos

Dabbler
Hi William

Good Day

I just saw the nightly release

I will try it later today and post the resaults.

Thanks alot for the notification.

Regards

tripialos

Dabbler
Just tried FreeNAS-8.3.2-ALPHA-r12992-x64 and works like a charm.

I am still waiting for my WD 2TB red NAS HDD to see the "baby" operating as it was planned.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

FreeNas really rocks!!!

tripialos

Dabbler
Do i have to wait for the 8.3.2 Beta to come or will the current latest beta (FreeNAS 8.3.1-BETA2) will also include the fix?

coperant

Cadet
i need to understand when installing freenass v 8.3
i see the message after booting in a cdrom
kernel not found
and the promt tell me to enter the command

Status
Not open for further replies.