SOLVED Can't get x64 version to install / Bad performance with x86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynn

Cadet
Ver: 8.3.1-RELEASE (64bit)
CPU: Core 2 Duo 6400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (latest bios is flashed)
RAM: 6GB (DDR2 6400)

Have been playing around with FreeNAS for the last few days. I have an x86 install up and going, but am not happy with the speeds. Wondering if the 64bit version will help with that, particularly the ZFS pre-caching.

For the life of me, I cannot get a 64bit install to work. Tried it from a CD, booting from a CD, that didn't work. Installed the image to a USB stick (same stick that the x86 version works on), and I get the exact same problem. I double checked the checksum to make sure my download was good (it was).

After I hit the welcome screen and choose to launch FreeNAS, it just freezes. All that is on the screen is:

WP_000000.jpg

And it just hangs there. I use to run 64bit Windows on this machine, it is a Core 2 Duo 6400, pretty sure it should be compatible with 64bit. My expertise has run short, and I have not been able to find the answer in the manual or on the forums.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere.

ProtoSD

MVP
Re: Cannot figure this one out

Please review the forum rules and edit/update your post or it will be deleted.

3. When you start a new thread you MUST write a subject that accurately describes the content.

Including the following information in your thread will increase the chance you will get an answer:

FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit).
General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
Specific hardware information (Network card chipset, Raid controller chipset, etc.).
DMESG output or copy of specific error message.
IFCONFIG output if you are asking about a NIC or networking problem.
PCICONF -lv output if you are asking about MotherBoard and / or PCI card problems.
Code snippets, logs, config files and quotes should be enclosed in the appropriate bbcode tags.
To provide you with accurate answers we need this information and it will also help others to find your posts when they are searching for similar information.

EDIT: Thanks for updating your post, not sure why you couldn't edit TITLE / Subject

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Re: Cannot figure this one out

Yeah, without 64 bit its like you have about 3.25GB of RAM. 64bit is pretty much a necessity if you want ZFS.

As for your problem, you should try a BIOS update, RAM test, and perhaps disabling unused hardware in the BIOS.

Wynn

Cadet
Problem solved!

Had some bad memory. Seemed inconceivable to me that some of my memory was bad, it was just working. But memtest86+ showed an error. Popped out the bad memory, and viola, booted up perfectly and the system is running.

Now I have to go pick up some replacement RAM to see what sort of performance gains there may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.