SOLVED Installation errors, hoping someone can point me in the right direction

paulinventome

Explorer
New build, so nothing has ever been installed. All drives are fresh and never been initialised. I have a 256GB NVMe which I want to use as the boot drive. I have 4x16TB which would be the start of my pool.

I have made a boot USB using the TrueNAS recommended workflow.

I can get it to boot but I am seeing errors which culminate in random: unblocking device.

After 100 seconds I get Mounting failed with error 2 and then a command prompt.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?

Kindest
Paul

---

image shows the screen leading up to this

IMG_9210.jpg

Redcoat

MVP
I have made a boot USB using the TrueNAS recommended workflow.
Did you mean "install USB" rather than "boot USB"?

Did you see these screens on the way to making your boot drive? I ask because you indicate that you intend to use an NVMe as the boot drive, but refer to a USB.
1654795151145.png

paulinventome

Explorer
Did you mean "install USB" rather than "boot USB"?

Did you see these screens on the way to making your boot drive? I ask because you indicate that you intend to use an NVMe as the boot drive, but refer to a USB.
View attachment 56019
I am sorry, yes I mean Install USB and I have not got to those screens yet. I get a DOS TrueNAS style page and then a countdown and then a verbose boot on the USB culminating in the error shown.

So I have not got to the point of being able to install TrueNAS yet. Still struggling with getting the Install USB to work

thanks
Paul

Redcoat

MVP
OK, so you need to make yourself a good install device. Did you verify the checksum of the initial download of the iso? What software did you use to write the iso to the USB key.?

paulinventome

Explorer
OK, so you need to make yourself a good install device. Did you verify the checksum of the initial download of the iso? What software did you use to write the iso to the USB key.?
I used the same one as the TrueNAS you tube video, the file was a zip file does that not have a checksum when extracting?

I will need to keep experimenting with the bios on the X99 motherboard, I have a feeling it's going to be some odd configuration issue with getting a linux based boot from a USB.

The error seems fairly common in the forums but not much about troubleshooting it!

thanks
Paul

Redcoat

MVP
Let's start from the basics so we don't miss anything right up front here:

1. What version of TrueNAS are you trying to install - Core or Scale?

2. From what client OS are you wishing to make the install?

3. On what hardware are you wishing to install it - full description please?

4. The TrueNAS downloand is a .iso file, not a .zip. It is that .iso for which I asked if you verified the checksum.

Last edited:

sretalla