install TrueNAS on top of Debian 10?

vikozo6

Patron
Hello
it is possible to install TrueNAS on TOP of a Debian 10 Installation.
i would like to use TrueNAS as VM on TOP of Proxmox!
have a nice day
vinc

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can certainly run TrueNAS Core or Scale as a VM in Proxmox... caveats are that you need to pass through a whole HBA if you want to host any data you like to keep safe on it. You also won't get a guest agent, so guest functions aren't there.

Since Scale is a close competitor to Proxmox, you may eventually swap it out.

vikozo6

Patron
@sretalla thanks for your feedback, what is "scale" i google and found some scale but what do you mean with scale?

Fredda

Guru

JOduMonT

Dabbler
Hi; I have the same question but with another case scenario

I would like to deploy a plain Debian in the cloud and to convert it into a TrueNas SCALE,

like it is possible with from Ubuntu to Zentyal or from Debian to OpenMediaVault.
In the case of Zentyal, you simply add the Zentyal source then call a meta package,
while in the case of OMV you simply call a script which do the job for you.

It is something I could do with TrueNAS ?
If not; it is something in the future, I could expect ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I don't believe it's possible to convert a vanilla Debian distro into SCALE, because of the TrueNAS middleware. It's not a matter of installing packages or running a script. The middleware takes over all system configuration files and stores them in a SQL database, so it can regenerate them on every boot. Changes can then be made only through the GUI or the REST API or the SCALE-specific CLI. SCALE doesn't have any capability for this sort of takeover. It may be possible in future SCALE releases, but it's not possible currently.