Install GRUB after mirrored boot drive via GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janus Ng

Explorer
Should the user be given an option to install GRUB onto the mirrored boot drive after the boot drive is mirrored via the GUI?

According to the article written by Basil Hendroff, https://hendroff.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/mirrored-boot-drives-on-freenas/, the mirrored drive is not bootable until GRUB is installed onto it. I think almost all of the users that have attached an additional drive to the freenas-boot are intended to boot from it in case the primary boot drive malfunctioned. Isn't it logical to automate it from the GUI?

Will the developer consider adding this option to the new GUI as well? I know the current GUI will be retired soon. I have no access to the nightly build; hence, I don't know whether it has been taken care of or not.

D

dlavigne

I don't think this is needed. There was a bug that caused issues with a mirrored boot drive when one failed, but that was recently fixed.

TheSmoker

Patron
I've just found out it's not. I've just replaced both of my sticks with SLC ones (for durability). Properly replaced one at a time and resilver, and now its not boot from either one ... just great ...

Status
Not open for further replies.