Install and access to ADGuard Home

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,
I tried today to install the "ADGuard Home" plug-in, however I either get an error message during the installation or I manage to install it and I can't access the administration page.

My network configuration :
Capture_reso.PNG

To install this plug-in, I go to : Plugins > AdGuardHome > Install
Next, I have this windows :
Capture_adguard.PNG

By default, DHCP is checked, I enter a name for the jail and I save.
The installation has started, but, some minutes later, I get the following error message :
Error: ADGUARD had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: + Acquiring DHCP address: FAILED, address received: 0.0.0.0/8 Stopped ADGUARD due to DHCP failure Partial plugin destroyed

Next, I tried this solution:
Capture_adghuard.PNG

I enter a name for the jail and I save.
The installation has started, but, some minutes later, I get the following error message :
Error: ADGUARD_HOME had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: Stopped ADGUARD_HOME due to VNET failure Partial plugin destroyed

Last solution I tested:
Capture_adg.PNG

This solution worked because I got the following message:

Install Notes:
adguardhome_enable: -> YES
Admin Portal:

Except that this ip address is the ip address of the web interface of my NAS, so I can never access the web interface of AdGuardHome.

Another question :
Why did the first two solutions fail to install the plugin?

Can you help me please ?

Regards

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, I never found LAGG to work as I intended. I gave up on that altogether.

Secondly, plugins/jails work great until they don't I gave up on running jails under TrueNAS for anything I needed to rely on. I may attempt plex at some point in the future... but that depends again how well the plugin plays nice with the TrueNAS vs. the trouble it generates. Network-related things like pi-Hole are kept on individual Raspberry Pis, which makes troubleshooting much easier. Yes, it would be less expensive / more efficient to spin up one Docker instance after the other and run them there, but this setup is what works for me.

FWIW, I would consider running adguard directly on a router like Mikrotik if you don't want to go the Rpi route. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jCKaHl3XM0

Nico052020

Contributor
LAGG works very well for me.
If you have only one device, LAGG is not interesting. The interest comes when you have two different devices that each read a file on the NAS. The load will be distributed on the interfaces composing the LAGG.

Regarding the advertising blocker :
at first I was going to install pi-hole on a raspberry pi. In the end, when I switched from freenas 9.3 to truenas 13, I realized that there was an AdGuardHome plugin.
Having pihole or adguard running on a raspberry pi requires maintenance of RPI + pihole.
On the other hand, AdGuard Home seems to be a bit more advanced than pi hole and offers more options.
That's why I want to test this solution which seems to me more advantageous. But it also has its drawbacks ;)

Nico052020

Contributor
I'm sorry but I don't understand what to do.
I have always used freenas/truenas only as SMB file server.
This is the first time I've touched jails.

in a jail (not plugin).
yet when I clicked on install the plugin, it created a jail for me. So AdGuard Home works well in a jail?

Alecmascot

Guru
Plugins are just scripted installs of a jail....

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,
Ok I understand better.
I'll get there. I think it's just a misunderstanding of the ip addresses where I'm lost.

Here are the network settings of the jails, how to configure ?
I tried a lot of combinations, but nothing works.
Capture_lann.PNG

In the browser, I did not understand if I have to indicate the ip address 0.0.0.0 or the ip address of my nas 192.168.1.32 ?

By the way, here are the screenshots of the files :
/mnt/TEST/iocage/jails/AdGuardHome/root/usr/local/bin

AGH_root.PNG

Regards

Alecmascot

Guru
My jail config looks like this :

The IP 10.10.0.53 is the ip of the jail. Adjust the IP addresses to suit. The yaml file looks fine.
You are on your own with LAGG !

Screenshot (16).png

Constantin

Vampire Pig
LAGG works very well for me.
If you have only one device, LAGG is not interesting. The interest comes when you have two different devices that each read a file on the NAS. The load will be distributed on the interfaces composing the LAGG.

Regarding the advertising blocker :
at first I was going to install pi-hole on a raspberry pi. In the end, when I switched from freenas 9.3 to truenas 13, I realized that there was an AdGuardHome plugin.
Having pihole or adguard running on a raspberry pi requires maintenance of RPI + pihole.
On the other hand, AdGuard Home seems to be a bit more advanced than pi hole and offers more options.
That's why I want to test this solution which seems to me more advantageous. But it also has its drawbacks ;)
I wanted to use LAGG in failover mode. Never worked as intended. In the end, I made peace with that and went for a bridge instead.

Maintenance of RPis is an issue, though I balance that need with the ease that a Rpi can be brought up and deployed (thanks to plentiful guides) vs. toiling in the guts of BSD jails whose setup/support is not as widely documented. For example, Derek Seaman does a great job of documenting how to setup a Pi with unattended updates, Pi-hole, and DNS crypt. Pi-hole itself does a good job of updating various adlists (see Gravity DB), but it as-yet lacks the ability to "pi-hole -up" on a regular basis. They had one bad experience a few years back and since then pihole update themselves are a manual affair.

Other Pis I run here (NTP) required zero attention as automated updates did their thing. I recently upgraded my NTP pi from buster to bullseye without any issues. The only downside of updating from buster vs. installing bullseye from scratch is not being able to go for 64bit. But in a RPi, whose sole job it is to run a NTP server, this isn't exactly stuff that keeps me up at night.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for jails to work great because the 8 cores in my D-1537 are perennially bored and I'd love to give them some low impact tasks running like yet another pi-hole, or an IDS for example. I think all that will become a lot simpler to implement if and when I transition to SCALE due to the native Linux underpinnings.

Nico052020

Contributor
I deleted my network configuration.
I am on a single classic interface to which I gave a fixed address 192.168.1.30
The address of my router/modem is 192.168.1.0
I took your configuration and adapted it :

1671635591618.png

In a browser, I type 192.168.1.35 or 192.168.1.35:3000, still nothing.

I think I've found out why I can't access the AdGuardHome administration interface, because I think the machine won't launch, because when I start the jail, there is the following message.

1671635276473.png

I didn't notice it before because I was using another "start" button. Indeed, either we check one ou several jail(s) and we click on a "start" button, or we unroll each jail and we can click on the "start" button of each of the jails. In the first case, the error message does not appear.

What is the reason for this error?

Alecmascot

Guru
you have not set a vnet_default_interface ?

Nico052020

Contributor
you have not set a vnet_default_interface ?

No, I don't know what it is.
As I said before, this is the first time I touch jails / iocage,...
That's also why I'm struggling a bit

Alecmascot

Guru
set it to auto, or the server lan name

Nico052020

Contributor
Hello,
You have seen right, with the parameter "auto", I manage to start the jail.
However, I still can't access the AdGuardHome administration interface.

I tried changing the port as you advised in the other post, but it doesn't seem to work. Or maybe I didn't change it in the right file?
/mnt/TEST/iocage/jails/AdGuardHome/root/usr/local/bin/AdGuardHome.yaml
Regards

Nico052020

Contributor
Is there nothing to do at the router?
Indeed, I enter an ip address in my browser, but this ip address is not known by my router.
When I go to the administration interface of my router, I don't see the IP address of AdGuardHome, only that of Truenas

Alecmascot

Guru
The jail will have the ip address you gave it and a mac address. I have no concept of your network setup.
The .yaml file you posted is fine.
As per the other thread, is adguardhome running in the jail ?

Nico052020

Contributor
Yes the jail is well "started".
I connect with the IP address 192.168.1.35:3000 on my browser.
Is there anything to do with the MAC address?

The only thing is that I don't see the ip 192.168.1.30 in the devices detected by the router.

Alecmascot

Guru

Nico052020

Contributor
Sorry I misspoke. I try to connect with this ip address but I have it does not work.

Alecmascot

Guru
Did you try with port 80 ?