Initialization hangs up

Multiverse

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I've just installed TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1 and try to run successfully through the initialization. Unfortunately the process stops at

"iTCO_wdt iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat= 30 sec (nowayout=0)"

My mainboard is an ASUS C422 Pro / SE and I haven't found any option in the manual to fix this.

Thanks a lot for help!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please provide more details on your system hardware specs (RAM, Boot Drive, VDEV/Pool Drives, Interface, etc.), how was TrueNAS installed on the boot drive and while I understand you are likely new to this process, would you say there were no issues during the software installation phase?

Now to more relevant stuff:
Is your watchdog timer disabled in the BIOS? Did you do an internet search on "iTCO_wdt iTCO_wdt: initialized. heartbeat= 30 sec (nowayout=0)" as this does bring up the topic.

Multiverse

Cadet
Ok, now my complete hardware list:
1x Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Rev. B Chassis
1x ICY BOX IB565SSK Backplane (5x3.5 on 3x5.25)
1x WH16NS60 UHD-BD Drive (LibreDrive Mode)
1x be quiet! Platinum 650W PSU
1x ASUS WS C422 Pro Mainboard
1x Intel Xeon-W-2123 CPU
1x be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler
4x 16 GB DDR4 ECC-RAM
2x Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe SSD
1x HBA by LSI
6x SFF8643 Cable
18x Seagate Exos X20 20 TB Enterprise HDD
1x ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2 (4x M.2 on 1x PCIE)
4x Samsung 970 EVO 2 TB NVMe SSD
1x ASUS Phoenix GeForce GT1030 graphics card

The operating system is installed as ZFS mirror on the 2 1TB NVMe SSDs.
The 18 Seagate HDDs are created as a RAID-Z2, the 4 2TB NVMe as a RAID-Z1 (integrated onto the ASUS adapter card).
UEFI and additional firmware are up to date!
In UEFI I've disabled the complete BMC support, so the Watchdog Timer is also disabled.

I've blacklisted the module via GRUB and booted. This problem itself was solved but then the initialization get stuck with nvlink_core. After blacklisting the module additionally the initialization get stuck with ipmi_si. After the 3rd blacklisting I've now a freeze because of "pcspkr already installed. Aborting."

Yes, I've searched by myself for solutions. But I haven't found anything! I've also installed Debian and Kubuntu and Proxmox on this system without any of these problems.
I've also tried to run the initialization as recovery mode but there are the same problems!

And now I'm very very frustrated!

joeschmuck

Old Man
he operating system is installed as ZFS mirror on the 2 1TB NVMe SSDs.
This is HUGE OVERKILL ! 12GB is enough for a long time of TrueNAS upgrades, not that you would get a 12GB drive, but a 64GB drive is more than enough. I'd repurpose the two 1TB NVME's. But that has nothing to do with your question.

UEFI and additional firmware are up to date!
In UEFI I've disabled the complete BMC support, so the Watchdog Timer is also disabled.
Can you place the BIOS in to a Legacy (non UEFI) mode? and re-enable the Watchdog Timer might help since the issue is a missing Watchdog Timer. Sorry if you thought I was asking you to disable this timer, it was really a question of if you disabled it. Turn on the BMC as well, in fact I'd just reset your motherboard to Factory settings, those should be good. But then try to get out of UEFI Mode, that works for some, fails for many. I hope that is the issue so you can get back to an operating system.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Last thing, have you tried Core? If you can get that working, you can upgrade to Scale and see if that works. It's not ideal but sometimes you have to make it work for you. I'd save that for last, first try a Non UEFI mode (Legacy BIOS).

Multiverse

Cadet
Hi Joe,

sorry for my delay!

Yes, the 1TB SSDs are Overkill. But this computer was designed to run another OS and I don't want to buy additional hardware. For me it is ok!

No, I haven't run Core until now. But I will try it today and give feedback. And I will do a full reset of my UEFI ...

Before I disabled the Watchdog Timer, the problems were the same!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Can you change the BIOS into Legacy, not using UEFI?

And no problems, we troubleshoot on your schedule. I understand being busy.

Multiverse

Cadet
No, BIOS isn't possible anymore. I've tried to install TrueNAS Core in BIOS mode, but that didn't boot.

Oh, I also made a factory reset of my UEFI, but the results were the same!

I've also tried to upgrade from Core to Scale, that worked temporarily with 3 automatic reboot during initialization. After that it hangs randomly at the 3 modules I've described before ...

For me TrueNAS SCALE would be the perfect solution, but it seems the OS doesn't want me!

I will try it again in the easter week, then I have more time for it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I will try it again in the easter week, then I have more time for it.
Submit a bug report and hopefully with the next release it will fix your issue. Scale is still not perfect. I really like Core but also use Scale. I will likely move to Scale in a few years but only after it's matured more.