Inherit domain from DHCP doesn't work

greyltc

Cadet
1699207166547.png

I'm on 23.10 and I've ticked the box "Inherit domain from DHCP" but the domain never gets set.
Code:
root@truenas[~]# hostname -d

root@truenas[~]# hostname -f
truenas.

All the other devices on my network are able to pick up my configured lan domain name, so I'm sure my DHCP server is advertising it properly.

meisner

Cadet
I found this thread since I was looking for a solution to this problem. I am experiencing this same thing.

On my LAN, I am seeing the same behavior; other systems all get the domain name correctly. I was unable to comment on the Jira ticket, but are you also using pfSense as your DHCP server?

The Jira ticket is labelled as Low impact, to which I disagree. The reason I encountered this issue is because when trying to issue a Let's Encrypt cert, the FQDN must be used. Due to this problem, the scripts break. This is a more significant problem to me.

Is there a workaround or has iX Systems commented any more on this issue?

greyltc

Cadet
No. It seems to have been ignored. I've discontinued my use of TrueNAS in part due to this issue and its apparent neglect. Fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NugentS

MVP
just enter your domain name in the box below

NugentS

MVP
I don't see the (major) issue. Its probably a bug of some kind - but has a simple workaround

greyltc

Cadet
There are use cases (that are important to me, personally) where that workaround is ineffective.

I'm a bit surprised the checkbox even exists actually. It's hard for me to think of a scenario where one would actually want a machine to ignore the domain suggested by the DHCP server, but I'm sure there are many cases where it's critical that a machine matches the domain of the rest of the network.