Inaccessible Boot Drive due to USB Failure

CrashDive

Cadet
First of all my apologies for perhaps misusing/ not knowing correct terminology, it's been some time since I have done anything with my NAS.

Recently I experienced some kind of power supply failure (I think maybe from a power surge) which left one of my redundant power supplies non-functional. As a result of this I found that all the USB and VGA ports on my NAS had failed. This is a major problem as my FreeNAS installation runs/boots off a USB thumb drive. When I removed the USB drive and attached it to another device the USB drive powered up and was recognised (at this point I ejected the drive of course) which makes me hopeful that my installation is still intact. At this point I am wondering if it is possible to move my NAS setup to a different device in order to retrieve the data? I would of course also be open to other suggestions and will be grateful for any advice that can be offered. Fortunately everything of real value is backed up on a portable hard drive as well but I would obviously prefer if possible to not lose the other data on the NAS.

Here are my specs:
System: HP Proliant DL380 G5
RAM: 16GB ECC
CPU: Dual Xeon (couldn't determine the model)
RAID Card: HP P400 (My RAID is not set up here)
Hard Disks: 2x1TB WD Red Drives configured in RAIDz1

Thanks for any help you can offer

you could scour the internet to see if its possible to run some sort of USB to SATA data bridge or something. though it sounds like the best bet may be to use something like clonezilla to copy the OS onto a spare HDD and plug it directly into an open SATA port if you have one.

garm

Wizard
Just install FreeNAS to a new boot device and load the configuration you saved?