Importing ubuntu 22 with no UEFI

flmmartins

Dabbler
Hello,

I have VM ubuntu 22 image built in QEMU in raw format and it only works without UEFI boot. How can I make it work on truenas?

I tried to do the following: Created a zvol inside a default/virtual_disks/ called plexserver

Then I went and did: `dd status=progress if=ubuntu-server.raw of=/dev/zvol/default/virtual_disks/plexserver bs=1M`

Then I went to create a VM with existing disk. Type: Virtio (because it is a virtio disk in qemu) but when it boots I land in UEFI shell.

I tried to use on my laptop with UEFI and it doesn't work. Then I edited the VM and selected GRUB or UEFI-CSM but I don't see the machine on my network with likely means it didn't boot.

Therefore: How can I make this boot without UEFI?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I tried to use on my laptop with UEFI and it doesn't work. Then I edited the VM and selected GRUB or UEFI-CSM but I don't see the machine on my network with likely means it didn't boot.
Did you check on the console of the VM? I would not expect the network to work out of the box without adapting etc. netplan config YAMl or similar.

flmmartins

Dabbler
Did you check on the console of the VM? I would not expect the network to work out of the box without adapting etc. netplan config YAMl or similar.
Hey Patrick, tks for answering. I provisioned my ubuntu with a rule to match en* like below. You are right: it might not work.

Code:
network:
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        myinterface:
          match:
            name: en*
          dhcp4: yes

But when you say console... what do you mean? You mean the Serial Shell of the VM? How can I check?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
A VM has got a VNC or similar VGA console in SCALE. You should be able to connect from the UI. I don't use SCALE for VMs, only CORE.
A serial console will only work if explicitly configured in the guest OS, too.

flmmartins

Dabbler
Oh I realize I posted this on Scale but I have Core.

It doesn't allow me to attach a VNC device because my boot mode is not UEFI. If I set to UEFI I end up going straight to uefi shell

I don't have serial in the guest OS =/

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Activate serial before migrating the VM? And why no EFI boot? It's 2023 :wink: