Lubuntu and Ubuntu will not install as VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonque

Cadet
I have been trying for a few hours to try and get Lubuntu or Ubuntu to install as a VM on my freenas box. I have a attached a copy of the errors I get when attempting an install.

The main error is "unable to find medium containing a live file system".
I need some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. I have a 50GB zvol. I tried as both AHCI and VirtIO. Same result. I also tried UEFI and UEFI-CSM. UEFI-CSM doesnt work at all, just get a blank screen. I also tried setting the permissions on the .iso file to be owned by root:wheel. That also made no difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• lubuntu-install-error.png
    lubuntu-install-error.png
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 487

KrisBee

Wizard

fonque

Cadet
yes its the latest version 18.04 and I think you might be right. When I get some time I will try again with an older iso prior to 4.15 kernel.

Rickinfl

Contributor
FreeNAS fixed this issue a while back. Just have to wait from them to get around to releasing it.

fonque

Cadet
I installed lubuntu 16.04 LTS and all is well. I had to go back that far to get mondodb to play nice with Unifi controller. I wasnt having much luck using the latest and greatest.

LlamaN

Cadet
I installed lubuntu 16.04 LTS and all is well. I had to go back that far to get mondodb to play nice with Unifi controller. I wasnt having much luck using the latest and greatest.

How did you get past the "remove CD and press enter" screen? I can't seem to get my VM to reboot into Lubuntu, it will only boot to the setup screen or the UEFI screen.

fonque

Cadet
once the install completes and asks you to reboot, power down the vm and delete the virtual cd drive. Then power it up and it should work.

Grinas

Contributor
Any idea when they will be releasing the fix for this?

meku

Dabbler
It is fixed in 11.2-beta, I don't think it is possible to predict when 11.2-stable will be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.