Im new here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

azidblazer

Cadet
Hey, My name is Nick. I have been trying to install freenas for a few years and finally am able to install freenas 7. Tried 8 but gave up when it didn't like ANY(15) of my usb's.

To introduce myself:
I am working on my bachelors in network administration and have done web design, network setup and repair, linux administration and technical support for multiple company's for about 10 years.

I love the software and have decided to build a web app for our servers. I am currently housing 3TB of video, audio and personal data. I am building an online file viewer much like 'Windows Home Server' so you can have user AUTH, local and remote viewing of videos with streaming and a few file editor options for word files, Everything will be stored in a database and will auto check for new files every 24 hours. So far on my test I am able to scan my 3TB for directory structure, file types and file info in just a few seconds. I am able to stream video locally over my network and am working on the UI next.

Glad to meet everyone and hope to assist this forum in any way I can.

Oh and yes I understand this is the freenas 8 forum, but I am making this package(hopefully) for ANY linux server. THX

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the FreeNAS 8 forums. Your project sounds interesting. Something that might be helpful to you if you want to test your project alongside FreeNAS is a Jail. There's a manpage for the 'jail' command, and there are / or will be a couple more soon, HowTo's for running different applications in a Jail that you could use as a guide. Here is one of them, HOWTO-Install-JDownloader-in-a-FreeBSD-Jail

Good luck with your project and looking forward to seeing in the forums!

PS - Have a look at the links in my signature below for FAQs and docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.