SOLVED IBM M1015 Flash to LSI 92xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

timpj5

Cadet
Ok, so I have followed the numerous guides out there on flashing the IBM M1015 card to the IT firmware. In fact, I have even done it previously once, a while ago on another box, it worked exactly as all the other tutorials suggested, a made notes of exactly what I did and it mirrors all the guides. However, I am running into an issue now on 2 separate cards on 2 separate machines. I have created a FreeDOS boot USB stick and copied the 2118it.bin firmware, extracted the MegaRec.exe file and copied it as well as the sas2flsh.exe file and mtpsas2.rom to the root of the USB stick.

I am able to boot into FreeDOS and see the adapter during BIOS boot first time, and get the following when I use megarec -adpList:

MegaRAID HWR Controller Recovery Tool...
Identified MR Cards Count: 1
List of Identified cards
----------------------------------------
MR Card 0
Type: 2008
Vendor Id: 0x1000, Device Id: 0x73
Slot No: 2, Device Function 0x0

First off, when I attempt to run the commands:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

I get "Error in opening file: sbrempty.bin. Error in file open". I have tried multiple times, same error, haven't seen a way around it. So I proceeded after reading one guide for doing the same cross flashing for a Dell PERC card.

Secondly, the megarec -cleanflash 0 command works like a charm.

After reboot, I no longer see the adapter BIOS messages during boot. After booting back into FreeDOS when I run:

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

I get "No LSI SAS adapters found!"

I have also attempted this via UEFI with the sas2flash.efi tool with the same exact error.

I hope I haven't FUBAR'd these cards. Any assistance would be helpful!

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Ok, so I have followed the numerous guides out there on flashing the IBM M1015 card to the IT firmware. In fact, I have even done it previously once, a while ago on another box, it worked exactly as all the other tutorials suggested, a made notes of exactly what I did and it mirrors all the guides. However, I am running into an issue now on 2 separate cards on 2 separate machines. I have created a FreeDOS boot USB stick and copied the 2118it.bin firmware, extracted the MegaRec.exe file and copied it as well as the sas2flsh.exe file and mtpsas2.rom to the root of the USB stick.

I am able to boot into FreeDOS and see the adapter during BIOS boot first time, and get the following when I use megarec -adpList:

MegaRAID HWR Controller Recovery Tool...
Identified MR Cards Count: 1
List of Identified cards
----------------------------------------
MR Card 0
Type: 2008
Vendor Id: 0x1000, Device Id: 0x73
Slot No: 2, Device Function 0x0

First off, when I attempt to run the commands:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

I get "Error in opening file: sbrempty.bin. Error in file open". I have tried multiple times, same error, haven't seen a way around it. So I proceeded after reading one guide for doing the same cross flashing for a Dell PERC card.

Secondly, the megarec -cleanflash 0 command works like a charm.

After reboot, I no longer see the adapter BIOS messages during boot. After booting back into FreeDOS when I run:

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

I get "No LSI SAS adapters found!"

I have also attempted this via UEFI with the sas2flash.efi tool with the same exact error.

I hope I haven't FUBAR'd these cards. Any assistance would be helpful!
Chances are good that your card is fine.

The first error makes me think you don't have a copy of sbrempty.bin. I'm attaching a copy of sbrempty.bin from my M1015 fileset, stored in a zip file. Extract it to your USB stick and try again.

Good luck

Attachments

• sbrempty.zip
    272 bytes · Views: 1,687

timpj5

Cadet
You nailed it... that was obviously the problem. Thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
You're welcome! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.