I just moved from scale to core and how does the ssh work in core?

sennebo

Cadet
As you know, i recently moved from scale to core.

I learned quickly and created an smb share with the right permissions on a mirror.
One thing that is completely different is ssh. On scale i could just ssh into it by using ssh admin@[my domain]
But now i need to paste keys and stuff?
Is there a way so i could use the good old ssh from Scale?

danb35

Hall of Famer
But now i need to paste keys and stuff?
Where do you get this idea?

The key (relevant) difference between CORE and SCALE is that iX is pushing for non-root admin users in SCALE, while there's no such thing in CORE. Go to Services -> SSH -> configure and enable root login with password.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The key (relevant) difference between CORE and SCALE is that iX is pushing for non-root admin users in SCALE
BTW, this is getting extended in DragonFish so that you can have limited admin users where portions of UI are disabled. Our middleware is basically becoming multi-user with auditing, RBAC, and such.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Though my post above indicates (correctly) that you don't need to use public-key authentication (in CORE or SCALE), it's a good idea in either. But again, it's nothing about CORE vs. SCALE.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Though my post above indicates (correctly) that you don't need to use public-key authentication (in CORE or SCALE), it's a good idea in either. But again, it's nothing about CORE vs. SCALE.
Right. There's no difference in that regard. ssh works like it always has. Generally best-practice is to use key-based-auth, but if this is home NAS that is not exposed to internet password-based auth is fine.

sennebo

Cadet
Where do you get this idea?

The key (relevant) difference between CORE and SCALE is that iX is pushing for non-root admin users in SCALE, while there's no such thing in CORE. Go to Services -> SSH -> configure and enable root login with password.
i moved from core to scale not the other way. in scale i can just use ssh without those keys and in core i have to copy a key