I don't have CIFS, only SMB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller1603

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so am i to freenas.
I was trying to set my freenas server up, and my ftp is now working in my local network. The only thing is, in every setup guide they say to use windows share CIFS and that is what i want to use. The only problem is, i don't see windows cifs. Only SMB.
How can i solve this? Do i have to enable CIFS or something?

Please help me, i'm a noob.

Miller

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The option in FreeNAS changed recently. I'm guessing the guides haven't been updated. Is it listed as SMB or CIFS in the official documentation?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I can't get it to show up in my network folder on windows 10 with SMB...

That's a Windows 10 being Windows 10 issue. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections", right-click on your NIC, click properties, Select IPv4, click "properties", click "advanced", click WINS, and enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
2) Under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" turn on "Network Discovery" for your network profile. Turn off home group while you're at it.
3) Verify that client and server are in same workgroup
4) Reboot all the things and wait about 10 minutes. Has the FreeNAS server appeared? If not, go to (a)

a) Verify that there are no other samba servers on the network configured as "local master" or "preferred master"
b) In the FreeNAS webui under 'services' -> 'cifs (or SMB)', and add the auxiliary parameter preferred master = yes
c) Reboot all the things and wait about 10 minutes. Has the FreeNAS server appeared? If not, go to (aa)

(aa) Go to the fridge and get a beer
(bb) Open "File Explorer", right-click on "This PC", then click on "Map Network Drive"
(cc) Populate "Folder" filed with \\<ip address of NAS>\<share>, and click "Finish.

Miller1603

Cadet
That's a Windows 10 being Windows 10 issue. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections", right-click on your NIC, click properties, Select IPv4, click "properties", click "advanced", click WINS, and enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
2) Under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" turn on "Network Discovery" for your network profile. Turn off home group while you're at it.
3) Verify that client and server are in same workgroup
4) Reboot all the things and wait about 10 minutes. Has the FreeNAS server appeared? If not, go to (a)

a) Verify that there are no other samba servers on the network configured as "local master" or "preferred master"
b) In the FreeNAS webui under 'services' -> 'cifs (or SMB)', and add the auxiliary parameter preferred master = yes
c) Reboot all the things and wait about 10 minutes. Has the FreeNAS server appeared? If not, go to (aa)

(aa) Go to the fridge and get a beer
(bb) Open "File Explorer", right-click on "This PC", then click on "Map Network Drive"
(cc) Populate "Folder" filed with \\<ip address of NAS>\<share>, and click "Finish.
Worked! Thank you very much!

- Miller

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Status
Not open for further replies.