I assume my memory is bad?

VioletDragon

Patron
my ipmi is not setup. i wanted a new board so i could have a spare board if my other one failed. the last time it took over a week to get a replacement flash bios etc.

MemTest Deluxe
$14: bootable CD/USB version, delivered via email​
The Deluxe package includes the Windows native Pro version. It adds a 64-bit version of MemTest that runs directly from a bootable CD or USB drivewithout loading your OS first. This version can be run on any PC that supports CSM/legacy BIOS boot, and does not require any sort of installation. Plus, since it does not load an OS, it can directly access and test all of your RAM. This is a great disk for computer technicians. It also uses the rate that memory is checked as a basic speed benchmark. This can be useful if you are trying different BIOS settings. Not only will MemTest tell you if your RAM is still stable, but it will also indicate if the tweaks you have made improve RAM performance.
The Deluxe version is delivered electronically via email. We provide instructions for writing it to CD or a usb stick.

i tested the usb boot disk on a couple of computers but not a server.
Supermicro X9SCL+-F $49 from ebay

Urmm ok. It is good practice to have IPMI enabled and configured on a isolated Network/VLAN separated from everything else i.e Management Network VLAN.

Not even heard of that what you are talking about Memtest dulux, i only use Memtest86 via PXE Booting its easier that way. Instead of messing around i would just run Memtest for 24 hours.

Herr_Merlin

Patron
i don't care about my data based on what?

and i did try the memory test but i couldn't get the server to boot.

i also explained that i have hunntingtons disease
I said it seems that you care.. did not say that you don't..

ethereal

Guru

ethereal

Guru
Urmm ok. It is good practice to have IPMI enabled and configured on a isolated Network/VLAN separated from everything else i.e Management Network VLAN.

Not even heard of that what you are talking about Memtest dulux, i only use Memtest86 via PXE Booting its easier that way. Instead of messing around i would just run Memtest for 24 hours.
see post 13 - back in 2014 i had impi working - but not long after the psu damaged my board and the ipmi stopped working. so it has been 6 years since i worked with ipmi. my old motherboard died a couple of months ago so i was trying ipmi again.

and i will try Memtest as you suggested.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do not be fooled by some of the ads for the MemTest products, especially those which claim to test ECC RAM, that is truly a hit/miss situation. As previously recommended you should run Memtest86, it's free and generally works well.

As for troubleshooting RAM problems, I would start by installing all your RAM again and then running MemTest86 for up to a week (overnight is just not long enough unless you have error messages already), also I would select running all processors which will add an extra component of stress. If your system was dusty inside, blow it out with compressed air. Dust does cause electrical issues. If your MemTest passes without a single issue I would then run a CPU Stress Test for at least a few hours (many people recommend 24+ hours to saturate the system with the heat the CPU will generate).

If your IMPI is broken (sorry to hear that) then yo might be correct in buying a new motherboard but that should not stop you from performing the other tests recommended.

An Out of the Box idea (yes I like doing this kind of stuff) you can look into is if you have a consistent MemTest failure you could look into slowing your RAM speed down (called underclocking) in the BIOS to see if that produces an error free system. I would only do this if you do not desire to purchase more RAM. Underclocking can work and I've used it before (until I could replace the failing component), just like Overclocking works to speed up a system. But I would not mess with the BIOS settings if you are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, you can easily cause more damage if you start messing with voltage settings, so don't touch those.

ethereal

Guru
Do not be fooled by some of the ads for the MemTest products, especially those which claim to test ECC RAM, that is truly a hit/miss situation. As previously recommended you should run Memtest86, it's free and generally works well.

As for troubleshooting RAM problems, I would start by installing all your RAM again and then running MemTest86 for up to a week (overnight is just not long enough unless you have error messages already), also I would select running all processors which will add an extra component of stress. If your system was dusty inside, blow it out with compressed air. Dust does cause electrical issues. If your MemTest passes without a single issue I would then run a CPU Stress Test for at least a few hours (many people recommend 24+ hours to saturate the system with the heat the CPU will generate).

If your IMPI is broken (sorry to hear that) then yo might be correct in buying a new motherboard but that should not stop you from performing the other tests recommended.

An Out of the Box idea (yes I like doing this kind of stuff) you can look into is if you have a consistent MemTest failure you could look into slowing your RAM speed down (called underclocking) in the BIOS to see if that produces an error free system. I would only do this if you do not desire to purchase more RAM. Underclocking can work and I've used it before (until I could replace the failing component), just like Overclocking works to speed up a system. But I would not mess with the BIOS settings if you are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, you can easily cause more damage if you start messing with voltage settings, so don't touch those.
my ipmi was broken but my new m/b a couple of months old has a working ipmi.
i did try to get ipmi working with a single cable but i could not get the web gui to connect to my server.
when i disabled the ipmi the web gui worked first time.
i am planning on using ipmi - i'll probably use 2 cables.
i'll also post asking for ipmi help.

ethereal

Guru
it turns out i'm not as stupid as i think i found this: - https://www.supermicro.com/Bios/sof...9SCL_-F_X9SCM(-F)_BIOS_2_3a_release_notes.pdf

It seems that there is a bug in my bios that causes my server to hang while entering setup and the date is 2021.
Hopefully i will be able to flash the new bios using my normal usb stick.
but that bug may mean i have to use the Super.ROM which i have never done before.

VioletDragon

Patron
it turns out i'm not as stupid as i think i found this: - https://www.supermicro.com/Bios/sof...9SCL_-F_X9SCM(-F)_BIOS_2_3a_release_notes.pdf

It seems that there is a bug in my bios that causes my server to hang while entering setup and the date is 2021.
Hopefully i will be able to flash the new bios using my normal usb stick.
but that bug may mean i have to use the Super.ROM which i have never done before.

Yes. I would check for a BIOS update for your board if there is not an update for your board i would recommend looking at this had a few customers with the same issue. https://serverfault.com/questions/1...Ab6CZAxcthOfQuC36tN5BqHHhwXwNorXf8mbumhCVzVdg

ethereal

Guru
Yes. I would check for a BIOS update for your board if there is not an update for your board i would recommend looking at this had a few customers with the same issue. https://serverfault.com/questions/1...Ab6CZAxcthOfQuC36tN5BqHHhwXwNorXf8mbumhCVzVdg
thanks. my new board arrived today. it has the same bios bug but we were eventually able to flash the new bios version 2.3a which fixed the bug.
what we had to do was clear the cmos by short circuiting the board and this reset the time to 2015 so were able to enter the bios and flash to 2.3a.

VioletDragon

Patron
thanks. my new board arrived today. it has the same bios bug but we were eventually able to flash the new bios version 2.3a which fixed the bug.
what we had to do was clear the cmos by short circuiting the board and this reset the time to 2015 so were able to enter the bios and flash to 2.3a.

Ok cool. Have you tested the Memory on the new board? do you still have Memory Errors? can you show the output of zpool status?

ethereal

Guru
Ok cool. Have you tested the Memory on the new board? do you still have Memory Errors? can you show the output of zpool status?
i am running memtest86 at the moment as you suggested

ethereal

Guru
Code:
########## ZPool status report summary for all pools on server FREENAS ##########

+--------------+--------+------+------+------+----+----+--------+------+-----+
|Pool Name     |Status  |Read  |Write |Cksum |Used|Frag|Scrub   |Scrub |Last |
|              |        |Errors|Errors|Errors|    |    |Repaired|Errors|Scrub|
|              |        |      |      |      |    |    |Bytes   |      |Age  |
|Storage      ?|ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 76%|  9%|      0B|     0|    3|
|Working      ?|ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 85%| 12%|      0B|     0|    3|
|freenas-boot  |ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 20%| 13%|      0B|     0|    3|

########## ZPool status report for Storage ##########

pool: Storage
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 09:52:54 with 0 errors on Wed Jan 20 09:53:54 2021
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    Storage                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c82e64d9-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c900ab50-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c9ce79d8-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/ca8cde35-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/93c250a2-5139-11e9-b957-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/cc0ff7c7-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

########## ZPool status report for Working ##########

pool: Working
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 15:50:04 with 0 errors on Wed Jan 20 15:51:04 2021
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    Working                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fbc3a0cf-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fc963788-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fd55edd1-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fe257976-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fef9d9a1-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/ffcc94f0-2844-11ea-b50b-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0

########## ZPool status report for freenas-boot ##########

pool: freenas-boot
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:58 with 0 errors on Thu Jan 21 03:45:58 2021
config:

NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
      mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
        ada0p2    ONLINE       0     0     0
        ada2p2    ONLINE       0     0     0

VioletDragon

Patron

ethereal

Guru
indeed

VioletDragon

Patron

ethereal

Guru
I have a new board X9SCL+-L and i am using a different cpu. i needed to buy the cpu a couple of months ago so i could flash the bios so my original cpu would work. The only thing that is original is the memory which i am testing in the new board.

VioletDragon

Patron
I have a new board X9SCL+-L and i am using a different cpu. i needed to buy the cpu a couple of months ago so i could flash the bios so my original cpu would work. The only thing that is original is the memory which i am testing in the new board.

Ok cool. Please test with the old CPU with Memtest as the Memory Controller is on the CPU and not the Motherboard.

ethereal

Guru
Ok cool. Please test with the old CPU with Memtest as the Memory Controller is on the CPU and not the Motherboard.
i will do - thank you i didn't know that

VioletDragon

Patron

ethereal

Guru
there are 2 sticks of ram in the server.
i am testing the other 2 in the new board. the first stick passed after 4 passes no errors.
i am running the other stick now - this was dimm1 potentially the bad stick