HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
HP is now selling two new Gen8 MicroServers.

The 712317-001 is based on an Intel® Celeron® G1610T (2 core, 2.3 GHz, 2MB, 35W). The 712318-001 is based on an Intel® Pentium® G2020T (2 core, 2.5 GHz, 3MB, 35W). Maximum memory of 16GB.

This looks like the ideal prebuilt NAS platform for a small 4-drive FreeNAS system.

crisman

Explorer
Does the server controller (smart array B120i) for this new microserver is capable of handling JBOD with passthrough for ZFS?

Milhouse

Guru
This blog post has several internal pictures of the new G8.

I realise the G8 is meant for small businesses, but in some respects I think the new server is a step backwards from the G7 line (N36L/N40L/N54L) which I presume the G8 is meant to replace. There seems to be less room inside for additional storage, one less expansion slot, no door lock (though there is a latch inside the case, it's not very secure) and it's also a lot more expensive - is the inclusion of a DVD drive really appropriate these days?

There are certainly some welcome touches in the G8, and I don't want to sound like a knuckle dragger, but the N54L G7 is a cracking machine (certainly in the UK, where you can pick one up for under £80), even allowing for the less powerful AMD CPU (the Intel CPU found in the G8 is about double the performance of the N54L).

It probably won't happen but I'd like to see HP continue with the low-cost G7 server line as they are ideal for very small businesses and home users (speaking as someone who runs FreeNAS on several 8GB N36L, a design that probably has about a third or maybe even a quarter the performance of this G8!) ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The N54L has some strengths but also substantial weaknesses. The Gen8 trades a second slot for iLO (which ate a slot in the NxxL's) and it also INCLUDES a second gigE NIC. From what I can see, many people were adding a network card and a SAS card like a BR10i or M1015 and using the top bay for some expansion - but that setup precluded iLO. Now you get a pretty decent CPU, lose the 5.25 bay, and get a smaller form factor. This is a positive change in some regards, especially if you just wanted a small form factor NAS box. Really, there's this continuous stream of people in the forum trying to invent the Gen8 with not-quite-ideal hardware. They don't need 2.5" drives up top, but the extra CPU to do things like compression or just serve Samba at a decent speed, hey, great. And a switch designed to sit on top of the thing? Awesome for home networkers. But yes the NxxL's may remain a better option if you need more expansion.

Milhouse

Guru
Oh yes, the G8 has some nice touches which will appeal to small business, and I'm not saying the G7 is perfect but it certainly does the job of file serving which is what a lot of people need, and it does it for an unbeatable price. Unfortunately at this moment the G8 looks like it will cost four to five times the price of the N54L - the G2020T has been seen listed with a price of £436 here in the UK, ouch!

I just hope HP don't kill the Microserver Golden Goose with the G8, but sadly that seems likely - I may snap up a spare N54L while stocks last...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh yes, the G8 has some nice touches which will appeal to small business, and I'm not saying the G7 is perfect but it certainly does the job of file serving which is what a lot of people need, and it does it for an unbeatable price. Unfortunately at this moment the G8 looks like it will cost four to five times the price of the N54L - the G2020T has been seen listed with a price of £436 here in the UK, ouch!

Probably not fair to compare the best-deal-sale-you-can-find for the old unit to list price for the new unit.

With that in mind: The N54L lists for $389. The G1610T lists for $449, the G2020T lists for $529. We can actually see the price premium there.

And it doesn't look too bad, especially if you were going to need a second network connection anyways (~$35 or more extra). If you try to put together a similar mini-ITX:

$160 ..... Intel DBS1200KP
$60 ....... Pentium G2020T
$150 ..... CFI A7879 Mini-ITX
$40 ....... passive heatsink, cables, etc

you end up at $410 instead of $529, and it is in some ways better because you could avoid buying . But I'm also pretty sure you'll see aggressive sales now and then for the Gen8's. Of course you could ditch the Pentium and go for something like an i5-3470t but then you lose ECC (fooey).

Status
Not open for further replies.