HP Microserver GEN10 showing just one CPU

claib

Dabbler
Hi there
just staged a HP Microserver GEN10 with 2 PCIe Cards holding 2 M.2 SATA each for Boot and fast Virtualisation.
I was wondering, why only 1 CPU Core is showing up, because the AMD Processor is supposed to have 2 cores:
Bildschirmfoto vom 2023-03-24 17-59-57.png

Any Advice ?
- because the CPU in GEN 10 is far less performant than the Intel in GEN8 i'm worried about calc. power.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi @claib

What does the output of sudo lscpu show if run from an SSH session or shell window?

Specifically, does it identify the correct count for CPU(s) Thread(s) per core, similar to below? You can use the [CODE][/CODE] tags to format it the same as below.

Code:
admin@bluefin01[~]$ sudo lscpu
Architecture:                    x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                  32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:                      Little Endian
Address sizes:                   42 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):                          2
On-line CPU(s) list:             0,1
Thread(s) per core:              1
Core(s) per socket:              1
Socket(s):                       2
NUMA node(s):                    1

Regardless, I would not suggest the X3216 as an ideal CPU for virtualization, as it has only two cores.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't have an AMD Bulldozer/Excavator era system to compare to, but it's possible that it's getting confused by the "core vs module" that was an issue back then (a single AMD module from that era was able to do two INTs at a time but only a single FLOAT)

It does appear to understand that there are two threads available though. It could be something in the kernel, or perhaps the HP motherboard or the Opteron itself requires a firmware blob that isn't included with TrueNAS.

Do you see the same issue with cores vs threads if you boot a system from a live/installer Linux CD on a newer kernel (eg: Arch Linux?)

Arwen

MVP
Some of the information on line indicates that this is a 2 core, 1 thread per core, (thus, total of 2 threads);
But, the information is inconsistent on other web pages. Some places state that CPU has hyper-threading, which implies 2 threads per core.

Note sure why a more modern server would have such a low performance CPU.