How would you do this?

Norlig

Explorer
Currently I am running:
- 4x 4TB drives in RaidZ
- 4x 8TB Drives in RaidZ

I recently purchased 4x 8TB Drives that I want to replace with the 4TB ones, but I want to set up RaidZ2 with all 8x 8TB Drives.

Would I need to copy all my data to a temporary storage location, set up all my drives as a new pool then copy the data back?
Or can I somehow merge them into a new array without having to move any data?

I suppose its the first one, but wanted to ask incase I can save a lot of time :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Merging of RAIDZ vdevs is not possible. Do you have space for all 12 drives in your case? You could:

Copy the data from the 4x 4 TB pool to the 4x 8 TB pool if there is enough space.
Build an 8x 4/8 TB RAIID/2 pool with your new drives and the 4 TB ones.
Copy all of the data to that one.
Replace the 4 TB drives with the old 8 TB ones without copying data.
Remove the 4 TB drives.

HTH,
Patrick

Norlig

Explorer
Merging of RAIDZ vdevs is not possible. Do you have space for all 12 drives in your case? You could:

Copy the data from the 4x 4 TB pool to the 4x 8 TB pool if there is enough space.
Build an 8x 4/8 TB RAIID/2 pool with your new drives and the 4 TB ones.
Copy all of the data to that one.
Replace the 4 TB drives with the old 8 TB ones without copying data.
Remove the 4 TB drives.

HTH,
Patrick

wow, thanks for the advice!
Already started CP-ing the files over, luckily I have enough space!

I assume RAIID/2 is the same as RAIDZ2 (or a typo?)?
Cant find anything on "RAIID/2"

That would initially net me a 8x 4TB RAID, which would become 8x 8TB once I replace the 4TB ones and silvering is completed?

I do have an HBA-flashed LSI Card that I can use to connect all 12 drives. (8 on the motherboard and 4 on the HBA)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ah, yes - just a typo, sorry. I inserted the (intended) "RAIDZ2" after finishing the entire list to make things clearer and I don't know what my fingers thought they were doing ;)

Yes. You would start with an 8x 4 TB pool (built from half 4 TB and half 8 TB drives) and that would expand once you changed the 4 TB drives for 8 TB ones each in turn.

Norlig

Explorer
Ah, yes - just a typo, sorry. I inserted the (intended) "RAIDZ2" after finishing the entire list to make things clearer and I don't know what my fingers thought they were doing ;)

Yes. You would start with an 8x 4 TB pool (built from half 4 TB and half 8 TB drives) and that would expand once you changed the 4 TB drives for 8 TB ones each in turn.

Restoring the (old) 4x8TB Snapshot to the 4x8TB+4x4TB pool now.

But seems it stops when I close the browser.
Do I really need to keep the shell open during the operation?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You are using zfs send | zfs receive? Yes of course the shell needs to be running until that job is finished.
But you can login via SSH instead of using the browser shell and use screen or tmux - both are installed on TrueNAS.

Or you define a local replication task in the UI ...

Norlig

Explorer
You are using zfs send | zfs receive? Yes of course the shell needs to be running until that job is finished.
But you can login via SSH instead of using the browser shell and use screen or tmux - both are installed on TrueNAS.

Or you define a local replication task in the UI ...

Yes, followed this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/bl0ra0/restoring_a_snapshot_to_new_hard_drives/

I opened Putty from my HTPC (runs 24/7) and started it there now, set the keepalive timer to 120, working good so far, 0.5TB done already, only 17TB to go!

Pitfrr

Wizard
For background shell operations I found that screen is a good tool (and also natively available in FreeNAS). You can restore your session if it gets broken.
I use it a lot in zfs send | zfs receive cases.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For background shell operations I found that screen is a good tool (and also natively available in FreeNAS).
I recall reading somewhere that screen was deprecated and would disappear at some point, so have always used tmux (which has a few more functions).

Norlig

Explorer
Seems this ZFS send | ZFS receive is only running at 95-ish MB/s

kind of slow?

sretalla