New arrangement/build advice

gazump

Cadet
Since I just lost a Coolermaster 650W PSU in my main box.. I've been looking to rearrange my storage and return to the FreeNAS and ESXi fold from Proxmox.

Proxmox was great in many ways, and being able to multi-thread samba by hosting it in seperate LXC containers for different VLANs etc was great. But the management is a bit of a nightmare and it seems risky to have all eggs in one basket security wise/exposed hypervisor.

So, my storage has evolved from my first build with SMR 5tb drives. I now have 6x 8TB WD, 6x 10TB WD, 4x 8TB Ironwolf and 4x 5TB Seagate SMR.

I'm not particularly bothered by speed (aside from keeping the SMR as offsite backup for some of the more critical content). Looking to maximise storage efficiency, power consumption and risk for bulk media etc.

At the moment I have the following arrays
WD 8TB x5 in RAIDZ1
Ironwolf 8TB x4 in RAIDZ1
SMR 5TB x 4 in RAIDZ1
10TB Mirror
10TB single
8TB single

These non RAIDZ exist for reasons of fluctuating Amazon pricing and sales limits.

I'm wondering if I should move to:
Pool with ZVOLS
- 6x 8TB WD RAIDZ2, 6x 10TB WD RAIDZ2. Keep Ironwolfs seperate. - Possibly expand in groups of 6?
- 10x 8TB RAIDZ2 (WD+Ironwolf), 6x 10TB WD - Maximises space, but is this advisable?
- 8x 8TB RAIDZ2 , 8x 8TB RAIDZ2 (Running 10s at 8TB).
Or
Seperate ZVOLs. Possibly 10x 8TB RAIDZ3.

Migration strategy would be to remove duplicate content and try to consolidate down. Build the say 6x 10TB array, migrate data onto that. Then rework the 8s.

I have
1x Supermicro X10SDV 12 core XeonD 32GB ECC
- Has a 8 port LSI card in PCIE. Think I have a SAS expander and also a supermicro bifurcation splitter around. Without additional card or expander it can take 14 drives.
1x N54L Microserver with 4 core Xeon and 16GB ECC
1x N36L Microserver with 8GB ECC

Thanks.

gazump

Cadet
^ Forgot to mention, will probably use direct attached SSD for VMs. And add more if needed. Not worth thrashing the RAID Vol.

There is an NVME on the Supermicro so both SATA/SAS controllers can be passed through.