How to specify ADA order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cytomax

Explorer
I just setup my freenas (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158) and noticed that i would like to change the ordering of the ada corresponding to my hard drives.

i have been searching around and think i am going cross eyed between reading about device names and GPTID and internal guid......

Is there a simple way to change the order of which hard drives correspond to ada?

I read this thread
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ada-drive-ordering-changed-during-hotswap.16823/

specifically this message from Dusan
"ZFS should never get confused when device names change. It doesn't care about the device names, nor GPTIDs. It uses its internal GUIDs that are stored in the vdev labels. On the other hand the FreeNAS GUI can get confused when the device names change and you didn't use GPTID, but you did you the GPTIDs. The "funky number" you see for the original disk is the ZFS internal GUID (it also lists the last known device name to the right "was /dev/gptid/...")."

But again noone talks about how to change the ada numbering.

Thanks in Advance

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
It is possible to hard wire ada devices to HBA ports by setting some loader tunables, documented in cam(4) man page. But there is still argument, that it has little sense to do it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What would be the purpose for trying to reorganize the drive numbering? To easily identify a drive when it fails? Although I wouldn't be surprised if you could reorganize the drives, I see no real value and the possibility of injecting an issue later down the road, maybe even when performing an update you could induce an error. There would be no joy if that should happen. In order to make identification easier, I mark the last 4 digits of the serial number on the outward facing side of the hard drive so I can use the serial number from the SMART data, or GUI to identify the failing drive.

It's just my point of view and I know it doesn't answer the question asked. I would like to see the answer should it materialize.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
@Bidule0hm has some great scripts to provide the disk name traceability. You might want to look into that. I have over 50 drives, and I looked into doing the same thing as you, and after a while of searching and reading I concluded that relying on ada# (even if I could likely set them), wouldn't be failproof. Please feel free to look, but there might be an easier way to solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.