How to set up FTP to use the correct harddisk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP2005

Dabbler
I have installed my first FreeNAS server and activated the FTP part, which works just fine.

I have FreeNAS installed on a 1TB harddisk, and have added a 2TB harddisk, which I have done in the volume settings.

The FTP server keeps saving the files on the 1TB harddisk, but I want the FTP server to use my 2TB harddisk. I cant find any settings, where I can tell my FTP server to use the 2TB harddisk.

Anyone who can help ?

- Kim -

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Does the "Path" you have set in Services -> FTP point to the smaller disk?

SP2005

Dabbler
I can't choose anything there. The only "folder" I can select is "/" which seems to be the harddisk that FreeNAS is installed on. I can't select or write anything, that points to my big harddisk (2TB).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you actually created pools?

SP2005

Dabbler
I'm new to FreeNAS, so I don't know what pools is. I'll have to google that first.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just read the manual conveniently linked in yellow at the top of the page...

And, while you're at it, cyberjock's guide, linked in my sig.

SP2005

Dabbler

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you haven't configured the disks to be in any sort of array, how do you expect to use them?

SP2005

Dabbler
Well. I have added the harddisk to FreeNAS using the Volume manager.

Looking at the guide http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html# I can see that I actually did create a "pool", when I formatted the harddisk using the volume manager. I just didn't know, that it was a "pool".

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Please provide the FreeNAS version and your hardware specs.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
And how are you using FTP? Anonymous or user based?

SP2005

Dabbler

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Thank you, but signatures don't show up in Tapatalk.

Your OP says a 100GB drive, but your signature says 1TB.
HPE Proliant Microserver Gen8 Entry - 12GB ram - CPU 2.3Ghz Dual core - Harddisk 1TB + 2TB - FreeNAS 9.10

Can you post the output of zpool status and zfs listusing CODE tags please.

FTP users will ftp to their home directory, so where are those setup in the account settings, and anonymous users will go to the directory setup in the FTP settings. And you don't configure FreeNAS to tell FTP which drive, you tell it the directory, which means you need to point to the proper dataset location.

Last edited by a moderator:

SP2005

Dabbler
FreeNAS is totally new for me and there is a lot of new words I have never heard about. I'll try to find out what zpool status and zfs list are, so I can post them.

I thought that I could tell FreeNAS which harddisk to use. I only have one user, the root user, that was already created when I logged in the first time. I guess I have to figure out how to create more users and set there own home directory.

The part with the 100GB harddisk, was an mistake. I'll try to correct it, in the first post.

I have FreeNAS installed on a 1TB harddisk, and have added a 2TB harddisk, that I would like my users to use. I also have some cameras watching my house, which take up a lot of harddisk space. That's also why I have the 2TB harddisk. - but they keep using the 1TB harddisk.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I guess I have to figure out how to create more users
There's a very detailed manual you've already been directed to that will answer this question, as well as many others.
I have FreeNAS installed on a 1TB harddisk
Then that disk is being almost completely wasted. FreeNAS is intended to be installed on a small (<= 30 GB, ideally) flash device (USB stick or small SSD), which isn't supposed to be used for anything else (and I'm surprised it's even letting the FTP service use it--that's probably a bug).

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
and I'm surprised it's even letting the FTP service use it--that's probably a bug
By default, FTP for the Root user is disabled (at least on my system - I just tried to connect and failed). So I'm not sure what the OP did.

SP2005

Dabbler
There's a very detailed manual you've already been directed to that will answer this question, as well as many others.

Then that disk is being almost completely wasted. FreeNAS is intended to be installed on a small (<= 30 GB, ideally) flash device (USB stick or small SSD), which isn't supposed to be used for anything else (and I'm surprised it's even letting the FTP service use it--that's probably a bug).

So far it's just for testing and playing around with FreeNAS. The 1TB harddisk is the smallest I have. I have a USB stick, but my server i located under my table, and I'm afraid that me or my kids, kicks the USB stick out of the server.

SP2005

Dabbler
By default, FTP for the Root user is disabled (at least on my system - I just tried to connect and failed). So I'm not sure what the OP did.

I have only tried to login as root. When I transfer a file to my FTP server, it ends up on the harddisk, that FreeNAS is installed on. I have a added the other harddisk (2TB) in the volume manager, and added a dataset - as I remeber it was called. But I haven't had the time to try other things right now. I have read the storage-part in the manual, and will go through the user/account part next.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
When I transfer a file to my FTP server, it ends up on the harddisk, that FreeNAS is installed on.
That's because the default location for "Root"'s home directory is in /root which is on your boot media dataset. Create another user. Configure their home directory to be on the "Data" dataset and presto.

SP2005

Dabbler
That's because the default location for "Root"'s home directory is in /root which is on your boot media dataset. Create another user. Configure their home directory to be on the "Data" dataset and presto.

Status
Not open for further replies.