How to save an encrypted backup to an USB-HDD?

Dunuin

Contributor
Hi,

I really need to start to backup but I don't know whats the best way to create an encrypted offsite backup.
I've got 4x 3TB USB3-HDDs and in the past I encrypted the whole drives with veracrypt, mounted them to my Windows machine and used robocopy to sync the SMB Shares to the HDDs. But that is extremely slow and I need to run my Workstation for weeks to copy all that small files.
I really would like to connect the drives directly via USB to my NAS and use rsync to backup my Shares, VMs, Jails and so on but I don't know how to encrypt them.
As far as I know GELI and all the other encrypted filesystems FreeBSD supports isn't complatible with Windows. I really would like to be able to access the files from any PC if my NAS completly breaks down. Veracrypt would be avaible for FreeBSD but I read that I shouldn't install any packages to FreeNAS itself but create a jail and install veracrypt to that. That worked but it seems from inside the jail I can't access and mount USB-Drives.
I also thought about installing Veracrypt inside a VM and pass the USB-HDDs to the VM so the VM can access them directly but it looks like BHYVE can't to that.

Has anyone an idea how to backup locally to an encrypted drive without moving all the files via SMB or other slow network protocols?

D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon a solution for this? If not, USB doesn't sound like a great idea. Adding encryption to the mix does increase the likelihood of losing access to that data (eg if lose key or forget passphrase).