Best way to move to an encrypted setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Denton

Dabbler
Hey all,

I've been running a FreeNAS Mini for a couple years now and have been pretty happy. As I setup new systems, I've started doing a lot more encryption (FDE, containers, etc.) and now I want to do the same with my NAS. I know there's no way to "convert" to an encrypted setup, but what's a best practice for moving to one? I'm running a RAID-Z2 with 4x3TB drives. My usage is a little over 3 TB. I backup the stuff that I'd be really upset about losing, but I don't cover the entire NAS. Probably a mistake, I know; I just don't have the storage.

My thought is to get a 4-6 TB drive in an enclosure and hook it up to the NAS to "offload." I realize I'll be foregoing ZFS's protections while this is done. Once it's complete, I figure I can move the data back to an encrypted setup. Is there a better way to go about doing this? A more expensive idea was to get a FreeNAS Mini XL with 4 drives and just set that unit up as an encrypted unit before migrating everything over.

Cheers!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hey all,

I've been running a FreeNAS Mini for a couple years now and have been pretty happy. As I setup new systems, I've started doing a lot more encryption (FDE, containers, etc.) and now I want to do the same with my NAS. I know there's no way to "convert" to an encrypted setup, but what's a best practice for moving to one? I'm running a RAID-Z2 with 4x3TB drives. My usage is a little over 3 TB. I backup the stuff that I'd be really upset about losing, but I don't cover the entire NAS. Probably a mistake, I know; I just don't have the storage.

My thought is to get a 4-6 TB drive in an enclosure and hook it up to the NAS to "offload." I realize I'll be foregoing ZFS's protections while this is done. Once it's complete, I figure I can move the data back to an encrypted setup. Is there a better way to go about doing this? A more expensive idea was to get a FreeNAS Mini XL with 4 drives and just set that unit up as an encrypted unit before migrating everything over.

Cheers!
I think you can convert to encrypted pool. Do a forum search and see if it pops up.

Everyone is going to suggest you don't encrypt your pool unless legally required. Most people who encrypted their pool end up having the wrong key and can't unlock their pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JC Denton

Dabbler
I think you can convert to encrypted pool. Do a forum search and see if it pops up.
This thread is cited a lot. It's unclear though if the UI will happily adopt such a pool without any future issues.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't worry too much about crypto. I'm going to be moving soon though, and I want to protect my NAS in the event it's stolen from the moving van, etc.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This thread is cited a lot. It's unclear though if the UI will happily adopt such a pool without any future issues.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't worry too much about crypto. I'm going to be moving soon though, and I want to protect my NAS in the event it's stolen from the moving van, etc.
Freenas should import the pool with the gui but I have never done it so I could be wrong.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler

Just pull the drives and take them with you personally. Re-import at the other end. May be simpler and quicker than copying back and forward.

tvsjr

Guru

You're adding a LOT of risk to protect something I wouldn't trust to a bunch of moving contractors in the first place. Are you entrusting the movers with your high-dollar jewelry, family heirlooms, etc.? I'd wager your data is almost as important. Take the NAS with you and handle it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.