FreeNAS boot failure... Help needed to unlock encrypted drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy1

Dabbler
Today my FreeNAS boot USB totally failed with no warning. I did have an old backup of the config but it’s a bit old and from a previous version of FreeNAS (& I know with hindsight I should have had a tested current backup of the boot USB).

I really need to get the files again and if possible the users etc from the old setup (but this is far less important)

I have put in a new USB and got FreeNAS to load.

I had 4 drives in the NAS:
2x HDD setup as a mirror (A & B)
1x HDD Used for time machine backups (C)
1x HDD (very small with not much on it) (D)

I can see D but not A, B or C and all the info I need are on those 3.

A, B & C were encrypted - I have the both the “geli.key” & the “geli_recovery.key” and the password but I can’t get them to load.

Can anyone advise on anything I need to do? Or what I may have missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippy1

Dabbler
I have installed the version of FreeNAS that was used when my config was taken and uploaded the actual config.db file. The users are all shown and the main Volume can be seen but shows as Locked.

When I click on the unlock button and try to either put in my password or use the recovery key it says "Error: Volume could not be imported: 2 devices failed to decrypt" and in the console it says

Code:
Nov 15 20:57:29 freenas manage.py: [middleware.notifier:3520] Importing MYNAME [9915937080787786219] failed with: cannot import '9915937080787786219': no such pool available

I am
currently running this on V9-10 as this is the version the backup config files were taken but these drives were previously upgraded to FreeNAS V11 so I am upgrading to that to see if it makes any difference...

If anyone has any help or tips I would be happy to hear it!

zippy1

Dabbler
Having upgrade this boot drive to the latest version of FreeNAS 11 Stable I now get this message when I try to unlock it:

Code:
Environment: Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b) Request Method: POST Request URL: http://192.168.1.100/storage/volume/2/unlock/?X-Progress-ID=ea52504f-ba6f-48cf-87e6-59aa26416ada Traceback: File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner 39. response = get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response 249. response = self._get_response(request) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response 178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs) File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view 162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view 23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs) File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volume_unlock 1190. form.done(volume=volume) File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done 2619. raise MiddlewareError(msg) Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/volume/2/unlock/ Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'Volume could not be imported: 2 devices failed to decrypt']

joeschmuck

Old Man
I wish I could help you but encryption is not my thing. I would like to state that once you have recovered from this issue, reconsider if you really need encrypted drives. You already know the issues with not keeping current config backups available and hopefully the keys are still valid.

I'm sure someone who knows encryption will see your posting.
Best of luck to you.

Redcoat

MVP
@jacklawry, maybe if you edit the title of your post to include something like "unlock encrypted volume" it might more readily attract the attention of those experienced in the topic.

zippy1

Dabbler
@jacklawry, maybe if you edit the title of your post to include something like "unlock encrypted volume" it might more readily attract the attention of those experienced in the topic.
Thanks @Redcoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you ever replace any of your disks after some failed? And did you rekey them?

Status
Not open for further replies.