How to rsync a folder between my FreeNAS Corral and my Ubuntu box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Awesome FreeNAS forum guys, I love my FreeNAS... I am new to all these storage things, I want to sync data b/w my FreeNAS and ubuntu machine any doc really helpful.

hardware: custom built AMD processor, Asus motherboard, and 32gb ram.
version: FreeNAS corral.

I did start a rsyncd and tried this
rsync -rzhv . xxx@192.168.1.xxxx

sent 144.11M bytes received 2.61K bytes 13.73M bytes/sec

total size is 144.57M speedup is 1.00

but don't know where it stored, how to access those again.

any detailed document is really helpful.

Thanks,
Karthik.

melloa

Wizard
version: FreeNAS corral.

Corral has been discontinued. I'd change to a stable as soon as possible.

rsync should use between FreeNAS and Linux without any problem. The only issue I had was with attributes, as Corral has "optimized" them and rsync couldn't copy with -a for instance.

This is what I do on my end:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/raid
rsync -rltzuv root@10.10.10.200:/mnt/raid/cifs ./

scwst

Explorer
I have a setup where I back up the users' home partitions on the Ubuntu machine to my FreeNAS, which takes care of snapshots (for the record, I also back up to external hard drives). The short version of what I did is:
  • Create user accounts on the FreeNAS box with the same UID/GID numbers as on the Ubuntu machine (I need this for NFS stuff anyway).
  • On the Ubuntu machine, create ssh public keys and copy & paste them to their FreeNAS counterparts.
  • On the FreeNAS, create "home" datasets for each user - say, tank/h_user1
  • Create sub-datasets for each user for backups, as tank/h_user1/bku_ubuntu Remember to set the ownership and permissions of all these datasets to the individual users.
(Why the extra sub-dataset? Well, in my first version, I just copied stuff from Ubuntu's /home/user1 to the tank/h_user1 - including the ~/.ssh folder, of course. That led to all sorts of strange and curious errors, because I was overwriting the FreeNAS ssh version. Oops. Also, some users keep their Google Takeout stuff in tank/h_user1/takeout which is set to compression=off etc.)
  • Since the Ubuntu machine has /home on ZFS as well, I originally tried the zfs send/receive replication thingie. Worked fine, very easy to set up, but it really transfers everything. I don't want to backup the stuff in ~/.cache though, and all those gigabytes of games in the users's Steam folders at ~/.steam I can just download from the cloud if I ever have to.
  • So instead, local cron jobs on the Ubuntu machine rsync everything over to the FreeNAS once a day. The actual work is done with a shell script in the users' home directory that cron calls (remember, cron uses a different shell, so your bash rsync command won't work the way it did from the command line). The actual command is something like this:
Code:
rsync -az --delete --exclude={.cache,.steam} /home/user1/ user1@freenas:/mnt/tank/h_user1/bku_ubuntu

(For those not familiar with rsync, -a is "archive" which keeps permissions and ownership and stuff; -z is for compressed sending; --delete means we get rid of files on the FreeNAS that have been deleted on the Ubuntu machine; --exclude is a list of folders or files we don't want to copy. use -v "verbose" and -n "dryrun"/"noop" for testing)
  • On the FreeNAS, snapshots are made of the sub-datasets once a day, and kept for a few months before being deleted.
One reason I chose this setup is I get away with nobody requiring root privileges, and I can choose how often each users gets snapshot etc.

Note that this is from Ubuntu --> FreeNAS only. If you want to sync them in the other direction, you'll have to try something different.

melloa

Wizard
@scwst

Thank you for this post. The use of -rltzuv on Corral is due to weird permissions that won't copy with -a. Just in case some one still running it and gets into trouble :D

Status
Not open for further replies.