How to replicate a zpool write error that happens in TrueNAS SCALE in Windows?

duncandoo

Cadet
I've described the error that is occurring here. After much investigation the motherboard manufacturer agreed to replace the board becuase the error seems linked to a specific SATA port on the board. However, the replacement has exactly the same error. They are now saying they cannot investigate further unless I can replicate the error on Windows.

In summary, I create a RAID-Z2 pool of 8 4TB HDDs. The drives sit there quite happily, and pass SMART tests. However, as soon as any load is put on the pool, like loading data on to it, a number of write errors appear on /dev/sdb, which is the drive connected to SATA3_7 port. The drive is marked as faulted, the pool degraded. The SMART attribute UDMA_CRC_Error_Count has increased for that particular drive. I have tried different wires, different power connectors, with and without the backplane, different drives etc. The common point to all these errors is that it is /dev/sdb and it is the drive connected to SATA3_7.

So my question now is, how do I test the same hardware running windows to replicate a zpool write error and UDMA_CRC_Error_Count increases? Or what is the closest I can get in Windows to generating some evidence.

If anyone has any experiences of trying to do this, I'd be most grateful for advice.

D

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
SInce (I assume) this is a dedicated installation strictly for diagnostic purposes, you could try installing ZFS on Windows. As far as I know there is a work in progress port. Website is down. I just asked the project contacts on twitter and will report back when I get any news.

EDIT: Server is down, they are working on it. The URL is OpenZFSonWindows

Last edited: