SOLVED nvme is dead for Windows after using it in a pool in TrueNAS Scale

titust1

Explorer
Hi guys, I've used an nvme drive in TreNAS Scale, I created a "one drive" pool, then I realized that the drive is too small for my needs because of the 80% rule.
Then I successfully wiped it and wanted to use it for other purposes in Windows, but Windows does not detect the drive anymore, sometimes on and off it's showing the drive as a SCSI device, but the drive cannot be used in Windows, and Disk Manager freezes. If I bring it back to Truenas it works just fine.
I DO understand Truenas is using ZFS, and uses special formatting, partitioning etc. that Windows can't do, but what I don't understand is the following:
If I wiped this freaking drive in Truenas, then any formatting, partitioning or configuration that was done by Truenas when creating a ZFS pool should be gone from the disk, so that we can use the disk for other purposes. That's what wipe is, right? Why I cannot do it?
Please I need help, any suggestion would be highly appreciated, I don't want to throw away 150$

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Not sure how you wiped the disk, but once its connected to TrueNAS you can do the brute-force method to ensure there are no traces of partitioning left behind:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<disk> bs=1m

titust1

Explorer
Not sure how you wiped the disk, but once its connected to TrueNAS you can do the brute-force method to ensure there are no traces of partitioning left behind:

root@diskstation[~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1m
dd: invalid number: ‘1m’
???

titust1

Explorer
root@diskstation[~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1m
dd: invalid number: ‘1m’
???
I got it it's 1M. Let's see what happens
BTW I wiped in the Disks menu in Truenas scale

titust1

Explorer

Thanks man. Although it gave me this error:
root@diskstation[~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=1M
dd: error writing '/dev/sdf': No space left on device
238476+0 records in
238475+0 records out
250059350016 bytes (250 GB, 233 GiB) copied, 761.3 s, 328 MB/s

Now it works in Windows
Thanks a lot Kris