NVMe drives not listed in S.M.A.R.T. Test

Andybluejay

Dabbler
I have a pool made up of 4 nvme drives (nvme0n1 - nvme3n1) on truenas SCALE-22.02.4 . When I go to "Data Protection" then "S.M.A.R.T. Tests" all of my HDDs and my boot drive show up but not the nvme drives. I have short and long tests scheduled for "All Disks" but now I am wondering if that includes the nvme drives since I am unable to individually select them.

I can manually run "smartctl -a /dev/nvme2n1" in shell and see the report but I am not sure why I can't schedule it the Data Protection menu.

Can anyone who has nvme drives on their system verify if they can see them in that menu?

StorageCurious

Explorer
I cannot see Smart testing in the storage/disk screen for my nvme drives either. TrueNAS Core 13-U3

Stolen_Walnut

Dabbler
I ran into the same and poked into the topic briefly...

This blog has some interesting observations
Whether or not NVMe SSDs have SMART attributes depends on your perspective. In the perspective of the NVMe specifications, a NVMe SSD is required to provide you with what is called 'SMART / Health Information', so maybe you could say it has SMART attributes. In practice, this information is not in the format of SMART attributes and it doesn't have the fields that they do, not even so much as an ID number.
The practical effect of this is to leave general tools that deal with SMART data in a somewhat awkward spot when it comes to NVMe SSDs. NVMe SSDs have information that corresponds to a variety of common SMART attributes, but you can't really present the information in the same format because the information lacks a lot of things that SMART attributes have. If you tried to pretend that NVMe health data was SMART attributes, you would have to invent SMART ID numbers for all of them along with some other stuff that people often care less about.

If I had to guess, that likely is playing a role in getting that patched into the GUI to view that info.

If you want to go look at this info, you can query it with the following [edit] although it looks like this is much the same info that gets queried with the smartctl command you've provided:

Code:
/usr/sbin/nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0

Last edited: