Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

How to renew freenas-pre-certui? Bad cert was generated, expired 9 years ago

Western Digital Drives - The Preferred Drives of FreeNAS and TrueNAS CORE

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
An alert. "Certificate 'freenas-pre-certui' is expiring within -3101 days." Checking the cert, it ran from Wed Sep 7 01:02:33 2011 to Fri Oct 7 01:02:33 2011, which is not only long before I started using FreeNAS, but it's older than the server it's on. Some clock issue at install/upgrade time I guess, though that doesn't explain the one month duration. I only noticed it about two months ago, but since it's only a domestic machine I didn't care enough and just marked the alert as read. Now I have time on my hands...

Fine with having another self-signed, but I can't seem to find instructions on where&how to fix this up. I see it in System/Certificates. Can I just generate another one then delete old and add new? I presume the name is fixed; any other requirements? Being deleted would have major repercussions for the GUI, I will set it to HTTP only first. Does anything else use the cert that'll need refreshing/restarting manually?

Last edited:

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Should I be concerned that there doesn't appear to be a way to do this?

Jenlain74

Neophyte
I have the same alert :
WARNING
Certificate 'freenas-pre-certui' is expiring within -2231 days.
Fri, 27 Mar 2020 08:48:49 AM (Europe/Paris)

And I'm asking myself the same questions...

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Seems like the sort of thing the installer ought to look for and perhaps renew, given it is core functionality.

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Anyone? I guess I should post a bug about it, if there isn't any way to do it currently.

Harrison

Seeing the same issue in Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U2:
WARNING
Certificate 'freenas-pre-certui' is expiring within -2059 days.

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Last edited:

DeeEyeNL

I'm also getting this warning / alert in FreeNAS-11.3-U2
WARNING
Certificate 'freenas-pre-certui' is expiring within -2071 days.

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Just to note that I just built a new box from scratch, and only got a freenas_default cert this time, with sensible dates (although it expires in 2022, and it'd be useful to have a "refresh cert" button by then!

I don't have that freenas_default cert on my machine Sisyphus, which was a new build around April last year. Only the described freenas-pre-certui exists on that system.

JaimieV

Neophyte Sage
Ticket has been closed as a duplicate of the ticket I pointed out it wasn't a duplicate of. No resolution for these weird leftover certs, or documentation for how to do anything about them. Not very impressed.

giuseppe30

new installation TrueNas 12.0-U2 and for some reason certificate freenas_default are expired in 2011.

News for refresh it?