How to recover accidentally deleted file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Wu

Cadet
Hi,
I am using FreeNAS 8.3.0 release P1-X64 (r12825)
Anyone can help if I need to undelete accidentally shift-del items in CIFS share? I cannot see any deleted file in recycle bin. The file is extremely important, please help!!
Alex

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have a recycle bin setup in CIFS, then it should be in .recycle of the share. If you didn't setup the recycle bin there is no way to recover the file.

Alex Wu

Cadet
I have setup recycle bin but cannot found the "just" deleted file. Any tools and way to recover? I am willing to pay if any method can help. Many thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have to go to .recycle and find the file in there. It should be the same location as the old file. So if the old file was in /Cyberjock/Personalfiles/Igotdeletedonaccident.txt you should be able to find the file in .recycle/(usernamewhodeletedit)/Cyberjock/Personalfiles.

If it isn't there than you aren't looking at the right place or something. Files in the recycle bin are never deleted(I have a script that deletes everything after 3 days automatically).

The recycle bin is the ONLY way to do the recovery.

If you want to pay me to recovery the file from the recycle bin, I'm game. I'll want payment up front and of course I can't guarantee the file will be there in the event that you've misconfigured the recycle bin or something.

D

dlavigne

This is a classic example of why ZFS snapshots are a wonderful thing.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Yah! Snapshots rock :)

Durkatlon

Patron
I think the problem here is that shift-del was used to delete the file(s), which is Windows shorthand for "delete-without-using-the-recycle-bin".

Dusan

Guru
I think the problem here is that shift-del was used to delete the file(s), which is Windows shorthand for "delete-without-using-the-recycle-bin".
Samba doesn't care about delete or shift-delete. I you enable the network recycle bin all deleted files will be moved there, even those you shift-deleted (try it).

Mguilicutty

Explorer
So how does one empty the recycle bins? Just delete them?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. I do a script that empties stuff after 3 days :P

Mguilicutty

Explorer
Do you delete ".recycle" or just the contents? I deleted about 1.5TB last night and was wondering where all that space went...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My script deletes just the contents.. but it doesn't matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.