Recover deleted files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Hello,

I run FreeNAS 9.2.0 with a ZFS Volume (8 Disks, RAIDZ2). On a Dataset I have saved Photos. I access to it on a Windows CIFS Share. Now I have accidently deleted a folder with about 1000 photos. Is there a chance to recover those pictures? I guess, there are no snapshots... The recycle bin in Windows is empty as well...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have no snapshots and no recycle bin, your only option is transaction rollback. But, if you deleted them more than about 30 minutes ago there's no chance for that. :/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Export the pool right now... I'll dig up the commands

cyberjock

Inactive Account
btw.. right now means "RIGHT NOW!" Your 30 minutes or so is counting until it's exported.

bfasauer

Dabbler
I took a snapshot, but I think you mean something else. How to export the pool?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
With that kind of question there's no way you're going to do the rollback on your own.

Doing rollbacks isn't for the weak, and if you do it wrong you could be very unhappy with the result. In short, you need to either be ready to pay someone to do the rollback for you, or consider the pictures lost. I'm still looking for my guide, and it's like a 20 step process! This isn't going to be simple in the slightest, and it will all be done from the CLI.

ZFS transaction rollbacks carry risks with it. If you don't know what you are doing you can potentially screw up your pool pretty badly.

To be honest, I'm pretty hesitant to give you the commands now. I'm trying to find my link, but Google has tons of information and with enough skill and luck you can do the rollback yourself. But, I will warn you this is extremely advanced stuff, and you definitely don't fit that qualification.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Okay, so the pictures are lost. So the next step is to attach the volume again. I guess, I can do this by >storage>volumes>auto import volume?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, you already gave up on them. In that case you just do the auto-import.

If you are doing CIFS shares you should enable the "export recycle bin" function. Very very useful for mistakes like you just made.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Thank you, that's a really worthy tip. I should have done so before. By now, I think it is better to loose pictures of one year, then loosing all data. Perhaps I am lucky and can find the pictures on my windows drive, from where I transferred them to freenas, by using recuva. Thank you so much for your help.

warri

Guru
Also you should configure automatic snapshots and make regular backups of your data to avoid data loss in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.