How to reconfigure bond0 after a power outage?

groenator

Dabbler
Last night I had a power outage, after the power come back I am not able to access my NAS anymore.

I have a bond0 interface configured with two NICs, one onboarded into the MB and another using a USB network adaptor.

I've looked at the bond0 configuration and I see both NICs up but bond0 is down.

The bond0 has no carrier. My assumption is after the NAS came back it picked up a new name for the USB network adaptor and now is not able to start bond0.

20211027_152447.jpg

The folder /etc/network/interfaces.d/ doesn't have any configuration. When I cat `cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0` I can see the bonding configuration.The folder /etc/network/interfaces.d/ doesn't have any configuration. When I cat `cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0` I can see the bonding configuration.

There's no manual or docs on how to reset this interface using the CLI? How can I reconfigure bond0 using the cli?

Thank you!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The folder /etc/network/interfaces.d/ doesn't have any configuration. When I cat `cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0` I can see the bonding configuration.The folder /etc/network/interfaces.d/ doesn't have any configuration. When I cat `cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0` I can see the bonding configuration.
You're dealing with an appliance, not native FreeBSD, so you can't just look at files you would usually find on FreeBSD and expect them to be as normal.

You may be able to do work with tunables around ifconfig to establish things how you want it if you can't use the GUI to shape the network in the direction you desire, but editing any of those mentioned files will be folly as they are probably scrapped and recreated by the middleware at various intervals.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have a bond0 interface configured with two NICs, one onboarded into the MB and another using a USB network adaptor.

This, by the way, is a spectacularly bad strategy. Please use two directly connected ethernet ports, definitely using the same driver, ideally using the same chipset.

groenator

Dabbler
You're dealing with an appliance, not native FreeBSD, so you can't just look at files you would usually find on FreeBSD and expect them to be as normal.

You may be able to do work with tunables around ifconfig to establish things how you want it if you can't use the GUI to shape the network in the direction you desire, but editing any of those mentioned files will be folly as they are probably scrapped and recreated by the middleware at various intervals.
What is tunables? So you are saying there's a small chance of recovering this set-up?

groenator

Dabbler
This, by the way, is a spectacularly bad strategy. Please use two directly connected ethernet ports, definitely using the same driver, ideally using the same chipset.
Yeah, I am thinking to remove the USB and just using the main ethernet card. I can't have another PCIe card inside my NAS because the case is small. I choose this way because I want to use LACP and increase the transfer bandwidth.
After all of this, I rather use one network interface.

groenator

Dabbler
After looking at the docs I manage to reconfigure the network back to how it was using the cli.

Regards,

Last edited: