How to pass GPU to VM?

JBtje

Cadet
For my system setup, see signature below.

tl;dr how to tell truenas scale 23.10.2 to NOT use my GTX 970 for "system" operation, but that it should use the iGPU, just like it did prior to adding the GTX970?

I'm unable to use the iGPU for the VM (for some reason the system needs a GPU?). So, I added an old GTX 970 card to the system (After it was fully setup).
VM was created and setup (win 10) without GPU, so now i want to add the GPU.

Going to the VM page, edit the VM and under GPU select the GTX 970 gives me the message:
[EINVAL] attribute.pptdev: None based PCI devices are critical for system function and cannot be used for PCI passthrough

Selecting the UHD Grapics 770 (17-14700K) I get the message
Maximum number of concurrent calls (20) has exceeded.

It has been mentioned, to isolate the GPU first.
So, I isolate the GTX 970, and this goes without problems. The GPU is also in the list under Isolated GPU Device(s).

Going back to the VM, trying to add the GTX 970 under GPU in edit:
[EINVAL] attribute.pptdev: None based PCI devices are critical for system function and cannot be used for PCI passthrough

same error....

In the VM, i go to the page "Devices", which now shows 8 PCI devices and i cannot delete them. Force delete also doesn't work.
When I look in the list of PCI passthrough devices, it shows:

0000:06:00.0: Not Available by 'Not Available'
0000:06:00.1 'Audio device': GM204 High Definition Audio Controller by 'NVIDIA Corporation'

So the GTX 970, which used to be on 0000:06:00.0, is no longer available...

Guess i delete the VM and re-create it.
All suff filled in, the GTX selected under GPU:

Yes, an error, but the VM was still created somehow!?
editing the VM shows that no GPU was selected, but the 0000:06:00.1 was added as a PCI device....

My guess is that somehow TrueNAS 23.10.2 now uses the GTX 970 card as the system GPU? Even though it was perfectly fine using the iGPU prior to installing the GTX 970. So, how do i tell TrueNAS to leave the GTX 970 alone? I thought the isolating would do that... but that does not seem to do anything.

Any suggestions are welcome!

farout

Dabbler
Did you set the iGPU as "primary display adapter" in the BIOS ?