(How To) N00b's guide to CrashPlan on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZFS Fan

Cadet
I'd like to thank sirkkalap and everyone else on these forums for posting similar guides that peaked my interest.

However, there is a VERY simple way to install / configure CrashPlan that is not included in the existing guides. All credit for this method goes to Coriron for his Reddit post last month revealing this method.

Original post is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/20vbyd/crashplan_installation/

His method is near the bottom, pasted here for simplicity.

-------------------------------------------
I know this is an old thread but I have been using a much easier method, and this may help someone else.
  • Simply install the plugin using the normal method, and mount your storage.
  • SSH into your freenas box (or use the shell in the webui) then vi the my.service.xml. I found a symlink to the correct directory in
    /mnt/Plex/jails/crashplan_1/usr/local/share/crashplan/conf/​
  • This took me to
    /mnt/Plex/jails/crashplan_1/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml​
  • nano my.service.xml and edit the line
    <serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>​
  • Change it to
    <serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>​
  • Save this change and restart the crashplan service in the webui.
  • To access from your remote PC, install the client, and ensure that it is closed.
  • Edit the following file in notepad++
    C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties​
  • Find the line which looks something like this
    #serviceHost=192.168.101.3​
  • Change the IP address the the address of your jail on your freenas box, and unhash the line. Save the file and open your desktop client. It will then connect to the remote server and you can manage it from there. If you want to access your local client just rehash the line.
This seems to me like a much simpler method, and doesn't involve changing port numbers.
--------------------------------------------

From start to finish, this took me (a FreeNAS n00b) 10 minutes to get my CrashPlan backup started--including creating a new account.

Again, thanks to everyone in the FreeNAS community for the help and advice that I leaned on to build my first server. http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/asrock-c2550d4i-silverstone-ds380.18558/

berlin

Dabbler
Thanks for this. I didn't have the my.service.xml in mine, so I skipped that part. Seems to be working fine.

For those on a Mac the ui.properties file is in: Applications->CrashPlan->Contents->Resources->Java->conf

diskdiddler

Wizard
I'm getting a weird error mounting storage for it.
Surely you want crashplan to see the entire array of data (in my case, most definitely)

I'm getting this error.
"The path could not be mounted /mnt/ARRAY: Mount failed (64) -> mount_nullfs: /mnt/ARRAY (/mnt/ARRAY) and /mnt/ARRAY/data/jails/crashplan_1/media are not distinct paths"
Any ideas?

Ozland

Cadet
Hello,

Thanks for this! I'm having an issue though. On my Crashplan client when I open it, I see it's running from "crashplan_1", the Plugin Jail. However, I'm not sure how I should go about backuping the "/mnt/Data" of my FreeNAS itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm getting a weird error mounting storage for it.
Surely you want crashplan to see the entire array of data (in my case, most definitely)

I'm getting this error.
"The path could not be mounted /mnt/ARRAY: Mount failed (64) -> mount_nullfs: /mnt/ARRAY (/mnt/ARRAY) and /mnt/ARRAY/data/jails/crashplan_1/media are not distinct paths"
Any ideas?
Your source path can't include your destination path. So mounting you root doesn't work. You need to mount each dataset individually

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thanks for the help - it's all good. I keep my jails in their own dataset now, it was a dumb mistake to make them part of my main data.
I was mentally, treating them like applications on Windows or something. If anything - it seems wise to keep them completely off the main data drives entirely (if possible)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hello,

Thanks for this! I'm having an issue though. On my Crashplan client when I open it, I see it's running from "crashplan_1", the Plugin Jail. However, I'm not sure how I should go about backuping the "/mnt/Data" of my FreeNAS itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Elaborate further on what you mean?

You've got the crashplan client on your Windows PC to see the Crashplan on the NAS now right?

Ozland

Cadet
Elaborate further on what you mean?

You've got the crashplan client on your Windows PC to see the Crashplan on the NAS now right?

Actually it's fine now. It's just that I couldn't mount my Data in the CrashPlan jail but it was because I was trying to mount the jail in in the jail. So I re-organized my folders and now I could mount it in. :)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Sounds exactly the same as the problem I first had using jails, I didn't realise where to put them or how to mount properly, it makes sense for the most part now.

JTheNASBuilder

Dabbler
Thanks for this. I didn't have the my.service.xml in mine, so I skipped that part. Seems to be working fine.

For those on a Mac the ui.properties file is in: Applications->CrashPlan->Contents->Resources->Java->conf

Just to add a little to the conversation, I found that the my.service.xml file didn't appear until I toggled the plugin on for the first time. (When I had installed the jail but not yet turned the plugin on in the Plugins -> Installed menu, the file was missing).

Unlike you, I didn't have the luck to have it just work without that file. So for those of you reading this later on and doing your own troubleshooting: you need to run the plugin once in order to create the my.service.xml file so you can swap the 127.0.0.1 value to 0.0.0.0.

nello

Patron
Could someone elaborate a bit on adding storage for incoming backups, i.e., backups of other computers to FreeNAS?

The sense I'm getting from the above comments is to use the Jail's storage, right?

But I'm finding just the opposite advice elsewhere:
Add Storage for incoming backups
At this point Crashplan will accept incoming backups, but it will store those backups within the jail filesystem. This is probably not desirable, so instead, configure the destination to be a path within your main ZFS pool.
  1. From the left hand tree pane, select Jails->crashplan_1->Storage->Add Storage
  2. Add the Source path within your FreeNAS pool and a Destination path, usually "/mnt/incoming". Do not tick "read-only" but do tick "Create directory"
Source: http://techflow.io/blog/crashplan-plugin-for-freenas

And then, of course, CrashPlan itself allows setting the Destination too:
Inbound_Backup_Settings_and_CrashPlan.png

noobi3

Dabbler
i did all the steps my crashplan on my Win 10 doesn not show the NAS folders
In the crashplan >Destination>Folders

only my own hard disks show up any help would be appretiated

nello

Patron

noobi3

Dabbler
hey @nello

Thanks for the reply

i did telnet command from my Win 10 PC it shows its working but i dont know why it doesnt show up in my destination list in crashplan

Attachments

• Telnet.JPG
    Telnet.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Destination.JPG
    Destination.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 342

nello

Patron
i dont know why it doesnt show up in my destination list in crashplan

Does your FreeNAS instance of CrashPlan show up under the list of computer destinations? (It's not supposed to appear under Folders; FreeNAS is a different computer, not a Folder on your Win10 computer.)

CrashPlan.png

If not, then you didn't use the same account for both your FreeNAS and Win10 instances of CrashPlan. Either use the same account, or from the FreeNAS instance, send an invitation to the account you are using on Win10.

Even though both computers are yours, if you aren't using the same account on both instances of CrashPlan then you should think of what you are trying to do as backing up to a Friend's computer. Follow these instructions for making the connection:

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_To_A_Friends_Computer

noobi3

Dabbler
hey @nello

i do not see my Freenas in the Destination > computer

am i suppose to add my account on the crashplan that is running on Freenas?

and i do not understand how am i suppose to invite freenas as a friend.

icsy7867

Contributor
I'm actually having that same behavior, and not seeing the server portion.

I followed:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...home-computers-to-crashplan-on-freenas.39265/ and it worked. I think the problem may be that I downloaded the latest client from crashplan, but you need to be running the 3.6.3 client.

*UPDATE*
I did in fact get this guide to work. I setup crashplan per the instructions in the above post and then made the changes in this post and it appears to of have worked. I believe the problem was that from this guide I did not know which client to use, so I simply downloaded the one from the crashplan website.

After downloading the 3.6.3 client from the above link, everything worked as described!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.