How to make use of external drives with TrueNAS SCALE?

dffvb

Dabbler
Hi there, I have a couple of external hard drives which I would like to use in an easy way as cold backup for my TrueNAS SCALE. Are you aware of any options?

I tried a replication job, under "Data Protection" however when I tried to disconnect, the test server lost the network conenction... (even after deleting the replication job).

Any ideas?

copz1998

Dabbler
Hi there, I have a couple of external hard drives which I would like to use in an easy way as cold backup for my TrueNAS SCALE. Are you aware of any options?

I tried a replication job, under "Data Protection" however when I tried to disconnect, the test server lost the network conenction... (even after deleting the replication job).

Any ideas?
Did you figure it out yet? I have a fresh TrueNAS Scale install and want to use a 5TB SSD external drive as a backup. I have been unable to find clear documentation on a "howto" for setting up a USB drive.
Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
unable to find clear documentation on a "howto" for setting up a USB drive
It's not hard... plug in drive, go through the normal process to set up a pool.

Set up a replication task to do the backups you want, but don't schedule it too frequently (see below).

Problem: if you do anything other than occasional backups to that pool, you'll wind up burning out either the USB to SATA controller or the USB controller after a relatively short amount of time (months, not years) due to the intensity of transaction group IO.

copz1998

Dabbler
Thank you, Sretalla,
When I go to create a pool, it only gives me a stripe option. It is a single drive, so a strip format is not appropriate. Should I try to format the USB drive in a console? Which format is preferred?

Thanks again.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For a single disk, a stripe is the only option.

alugowski

Dabbler
As far as TrueNAS is concerned there is zero difference between USB and internal devices. You plug them in and create a pool. If you want to remove it then you must export the pool. Replication is identical to any other replication.

I have a USB hard drive that has nightly replications of the stuff I really care about from my main RAIDz pool, it works fine. I have another NUC-style device that has a main pool from two mirrored USB hard drives. Works great despite what the naysayers say.

The "burn up" comments are valid ONLY for USB sticks. USB hard drives and USB SSDs don't burn up any faster than internal versions.

copz1998

Dabbler
Thank you! All working well.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The "burn up" comments are valid ONLY for USB sticks. USB hard drives and USB SSDs don't burn up any faster than internal versions.
Not correct. USB controllers involved in data pool disks will likely fail at some point. You can get away with "infrequently used" pools like backups, but require a little luck to do so in the very long term.

a main pool from two mirrored USB hard drives. Works great despite what the naysayers say.
Mirrors aren't as bad as RAIDZ, but I wish you luck with that, you'll need it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Mirrors aren't as bad as RAIDZ, but I wish you luck with that, you'll need it.
It is fascinating to see how "capable" people are to ignore statistics. The argument is the same like me saying that I never needed my car seat belt in more than 30 years of driving. That is anecdotal and obviously does not say anything about the usefulness (or theoretically lack thereof) of seat belts.

Of course I am happy if someone has so far(!) not run into problems with USB disks. But to claim that it is a fully reliable and working approach, based solely on personal experience with a single system, is irresponsible at best.

alugowski

Dabbler
It is fascinating to see how "capable" people are to ignore statistics. The argument is the same like me saying that I never needed my car seat belt in more than 30 years of driving. That is anecdotal and obviously does not say anything about the usefulness (or theoretically lack thereof) of seat belts.

Of course I am happy if someone has so far(!) not run into problems with USB disks. But to claim that it is a fully reliable and working approach, based solely on personal experience with a single system, is irresponsible at best.

I offered my anecdote to show I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

I said USB and internal are equivalent as far as TrueNAS is concerned, i.e. from a managing pools and drives point of view. That is absolutely true.

Of course there are lots of issues you can hit with USB that you won't with SATA, NVMe or SAS. Yes some controllers don't support SMART. Yes some controllers are buggy. Yes there's a small latency penalty. But also most controllers don't suffer from those issues and for the vast majority of use cases on this forum this "All USB is unusable" mindset is wrong.

If you think USB HD/SSD controllers typically burn out in a period of months then you need to provide some proof. That's just bull.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you think USB HD/SSD controllers typically burn out in a period of months then you need to provide some proof.
Nobody's saying they do. What they are saying--because it's true--is that they're notoriously unreliable in maintaining a stable connection to the host. If you've had a good experience, great--but many others here have had contrary experiences. It's not like we own stock in LSI.

alugowski

Dabbler
Nobody's saying they do. What they are saying--because it's true--is that they're notoriously unreliable in maintaining a stable connection to the host. If you've had a good experience, great--but many others here have had contrary experiences. It's not like we own stock in LSI.
No, they literally said that controllers are burning out:
Problem: if you do anything other than occasional backups to that pool, you'll wind up burning out either the USB to SATA controller or the USB controller after a relatively short amount of time (months, not years) due to the intensity of transaction group IO.

Last edited:

sretalla