How Reliable Is TrueNAS Scale At Putting Drives To Sleep?

HarryMuscle

Contributor
I'm aware of the pros and cons of spinning down hard drives and I believe that in my use case it's a good idea. With that out of the way, I'm curious to know from those that do spin down their hard drives after some time of inactivity, has TrueNAS Scale been reliable in doing so, or has there been lots of issues getting drives to sleep due to services built into TrueNAS Scale wanting to access the hard drives constantly even if the system dataset is stored on SSDs and not on the hard drives?

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited:

fastleo63

Cadet
I'm currently running a TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.2 test rig and yes, seems to me that spindown is working correctly.
Obviously the selected drive must not be the dataset drive and must not contain container images or similar things.
To do so I've only set Storage > Disks > Edit Disk > Power Management > HDD Standby of one of my HDDs to desidered amount of minutes.

fastleo63

Cadet
EDIT: I upgraded my TrueNAS SCALE to 22.12.0 "Bluefin" and HDD spindown ceased to work.
I have the same identical configuration as with previous 22.02 "Angelfish", so I think there is a bug somewhere...

EDIT: my mistake - spindown works correctly even in Bluefin.

Last edited: