Resource icon

How to kill off SMB1, NetBIOS, WINS and *still* have Windows' Network Neighbourhood better than ever

Ian Carson

Explorer
@Yorick I have also updated the resource I wrote implementing wsdd as a startup script to reflect this change.

Ian Carson

Explorer
Understood. I have noted the change in the resource

Yorick

Wizard
wsdd is actually in 11.3 by default.

The script is: The aux parameter to have SMB use it, is that still needed, or is that now default as well?

Stilez

Guru
In 11.3 and 12.0, /usr/local/bin/wsdd.py is part of the standard install, and this aux parameter on SMB enables it: enable web service discovery=yes. Could you add a note to the resource to that effect?
Done, thanks

Cool Javelin

Cadet
Can NetBIOS/WINS/SMB1 be disabled on XP? Is there a method to use WSD (or an equivalent) on XP?

I have 2 older printers and a scanner that have no drivers on Win7 so I use an old XP laptop from time to time for those devices.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can NetBIOS/WINS/SMB1 be disabled on XP? Is there a method to use WSD (or an equivalent) on XP?

I have 2 older printers and a scanner that have no drivers on Win7 so I use an old XP laptop from time to time for those devices.
There is no SMB2 support in XP (SMB2 protocol was first introduced in Windows Vista -- early version 2.02).

Stilez

Guru
Use Vuescan for the scanner instead, very wide support. As for the printers..... Models?

dev_willis

Dabbler
I followed this guide (which is super helpful--thanks!) but when I run ipconfig /all on my windows machines it still says "NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled" beneath the DNS servers. Is that normal? I turned it off by going to "connection properties > IPV4 properties > Advanced > WINS" and changing the NetBIOS setting from "Default" to "Disable."

Also, I ran the CLI commands provided in the guide and then used RegEdit to go check on them. I discovered that I do not have a key by the name "mrxsmb10" on any of my machines, although I do have one named just "mrxsmb"as well as one named "mrxsmb20." "mrxsmb" has a subkey named "Start" with a value of 3. Is this the way it should be? The powershell command Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol reports that SMB1 is disabled, so that's good.

Thanks again for the great guide!

borut.kruzic

Cadet
Hi Stilez,

liked you article about killing SMB1, I having lot of trouble in getting working simple xcopy backup in 10 PC Win10 machines on to Win7 backup machine.

Just a new finding when I applied this from your article on a Windows 10 Pro machine:

sc config mrxsmb10 start=disabled
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters /v SMB1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

after reboot, I could see WSD Windows 7 machines, but i cannot access them with an error that the network service is not started.
Going trough services. msc and finding Workstation service disabled, I could not started with an error that dependency service could not be started.

I thought maybe starting mrxsbm20 would solve the problem so i did this from this site:

Enables the SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client by running the below commands
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

reboot, couple of times, nothing, same error that the network service is not started.

So finally founded this solution on this link:

using Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation

On the right there should be a "DependOnService" and "DependOnGroup", delete these 2 and reboot.

It is working now, but funny thing about this crazy Win10 networking that only Win 7 machines as WSD discovey are now showed in Network.
I will apply this to my other Win10 machines.