[How To] Install Subsonic 4.8 on FreeNAS 9.1.1

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just wanted to update that I was able to use my previous steps to upgrade from 4.9 standalone to 5.0 standalone on FreeNAS 9.2.1.6. I have not upgraded any of my associated packages though. I'll report back if I have issues. I also haven't tried using the plugin version yet either, given that everything is working the way I want it to right now, I don't know when I will.
you can always install the plugin version (which will install in another jail). mount in your music/media dataset read only. and test it out.

I tried to make it pretty complete, options for HTTPS/webroot/memory, also ffmpeg transcoding should work out of the box.

underpickled

Contributor
Has anyone else here had an issue with streaming .mkvs with subsonic? It seems like a problem with ffmpeg, but I don't know if it's just me or not. Could someone please post their transcode settings for .mkv and any information about which version you're using (assuming it's working)?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Has anyone else here had an issue with streaming .mkvs with subsonic? It seems like a problem with ffmpeg, but I don't know if it's just me or not. Could someone please post their transcode settings for .mkv and any information about which version you're using (assuming it's working)?
This works with the plugin using the default ffmpeg transcode flags. If you aren't using the plugin you need to make sure to compile ffmpeg with the necessary flags, but they should be enabled by default.

underpickled

Contributor
This works with the plugin using the default ffmpeg transcode flags. If you aren't using the plugin you need to make sure to compile ffmpeg with the necessary flags, but they should be enabled by default.

Is there a way to transfer settings/accounts from the installation method described here to the plugin version? I'm reluctant to switch to something new since this has been working for the most part. Maybe I just need to recompile ffmpeg. What compile flags or options should I be using? Can I do it the same way described in the OP?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is there a way to transfer settings/accounts from the installation method described here to the plugin version? I'm reluctant to switch to something new since this has been working for the most part. Maybe I just need to recompile ffmpeg. What compile flags or options should I be using? Can I do it the same way described in the OP?
yea, you could just copy over the data-directory.

not sure, haven't read the OP. you configure/compile ffmpeg just like any freebsd port. cd to the directory and 'make config' maybe you need to enable LAME to transcoded to mp3 audio for flash? but I would think the video would still work, just no sound.

underpickled

Contributor
yea, you could just copy over the data-directory.

not sure, haven't read the OP. you configure/compile ffmpeg just like any freebsd port. cd to the directory and 'make config' maybe you need to enable LAME to transcoded to mp3 audio for flash? but I would think the video would still work, just no sound.
So I actually have no issue with sound. Sound comes across fine, but the video is just green and grey sections, sometimes white and black... looks blocky and corrupted, though the files play fine locally if downloaded.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So I actually have no issue with sound. Sound comes across fine, but the video is just green and grey sections, sometimes white and black... looks blocky and corrupted, though the files play fine locally if downloaded.
did you try the plugin? You can just install it concurrently in another jail and make sure it works for you before moving your settings.

underpickled

Contributor
did you try the plugin? You can just install it concurrently in another jail and make sure it works for you before moving your settings.
I haven't, but I will once I get some time. Thanks!

1uVBo

Dabbler
hi there. I'm having trouble with the latest subsonic plug-in. Whenever I go to the status page to monitor what's being played, none of the images render. They look like this .

d6Ed0D0.png

upon closer inspection, it appears that the images are unable to render because of the missing X11 font manager.

Fokykag.png

When I did some research, it appears that Java is running headless mode. I'm not sure how I be able to check this or if this is a problem with the plug-in.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@1uVBo
What version of the plugin are you using. I can't seem to reproduce this, no broken image icons and nothing in my log. But, the images are just not there, no graph, I'm not sure what exactly to expect.

EDIT
Getting the broken image icons on chrome but still nothing in my log.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think I figured out the issue. I'll issue a fix and push it out tomorrow.
If you want to patch your current install you can just ruin the below.
Code:
ln -s /usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/lib/libfreetype.so.6 /usr/local/lib

EDIT
Actually, that just fixed thumbnails for my but Monitor page still isn't working for me. I'll investigate further tomorrow.

1uVBo

Dabbler
I think I figured out the issue. I'll issue a fix and push it out tomorrow.
If you want to patch your current install you can just ruin the below.
Code:
ln -s /usr/pbi/subsonic-amd64/lib/libfreetype.so.6 /usr/local/lib

EDIT
Actually, that just fixed thumbnails for my but Monitor page still isn't working for me. I'll investigate further tomorrow.
Thank you for taking a look into this. Linking the 2 files did not fix it, but I see you already figured that out.

EDIT:
5.1 (build 4310) – January 18, 2015
from
http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo
and to see that image report, I just right-click on the image thumbnail that wasn't loading and opened it in the new tab to get that log message.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thank you for taking a look into this. Linking the 2 files did not fix it, but I see you already figured that out.

EDIT:
5.1 (build 4310) – January 18, 2015
from
http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/pbi-meta/pbi-repo.rpo
and to see that image report, I just right-click on the image thumbnail that wasn't loading and opened it in the new tab to get that log message.
yeah I figure that out eventually lol. I'll see if I can figure it out tonight.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@1uVBo
Took me a while but I finally got this working. The updated version (5.1_1) will be in the repo tonight.

I tested a fresh install and the Status page now works. I'm not sure if upgrading a previous install will work but I'm hoping it will.

Tell me if I broke anything else, thanks.

1uVBo

Dabbler
@1uVBo
Took me a while but I finally got this working. The updated version (5.1_1) will be in the repo tonight.

I tested a fresh install and the Status page now works. I'm not sure if upgrading a previous install will work but I'm hoping it will.

Tell me if I broke anything else, thanks.
It worked! Thank you very much! I'll let you know if I find any other bugs on here.

mudshark

Contributor
I intend to install SubSonic onto my new FreeNAS 9.3x build. I see it now installs /mostly/ via an install package. Have you any experience with this install?

Thanks.
RG

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I intend to install SubSonic onto my new FreeNAS 9.3x build. I see it now installs /mostly/ via an install package. Have you any experience with this install?

Thanks.
RG
not sure what you mean by an 'install package'? there's the plugin which should work out of the box, or you can install the port in a jail if you like.

mudshark

Contributor
The installer plugin puts the subsonic into a "jail". Plugin install has run and at this point it seems I'm 99% complete...

I can access the SubSonic interface remotely and from the initial HOME screen I reset the admin password and set the top level media folders , but that's the end of what I can do! The left nav 'frame' works and shows the folder (artist) names but ANY link I click on (except HOME) just causes the main part of the screen to blank (see attached). I assume it has to do with setting permissions on the media shares. Could be something in the jail settings..

Attachments

• subsonic error.jpg
    subsonic error.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 532

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The installer plugin puts the subsonic into a "jail". Plugin install has run and at this point it seems I'm 99% complete...

I can access the SubSonic interface remotely and from the initial HOME screen I reset the admin password and set the top level media folders , but that's the end of what I can do! The left nav 'frame' works and shows the folder (artist) names but ANY link I click on (except HOME) just causes the main part of the screen to blank (see attached). I assume it has to do with setting permissions on the media shares. Could be something in the jail settings..
subsonic run by the media user (UID=816) needs at least read access to those folders/files. it seems like it has it because it can list the folders so I'm not sure why you're getting a blank middle part of the screen.

can you check the permissions of your files/folders?