How to get the public IP adress of a FreeNAS machine? MineOS

BakkesOffical

Dabbler
I cant get the public IP address of my FreeNAS machine because it doesn't have any accessible browser on it that I can check it on. I am planning on port-forwarding my MineOS server that I have recently created but I need the public IP for people to connect to it. If you might know something please tell me below.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do you run a common home network with e.g. a DSL connection? In that case all devices behind the same router share the same public IP.
You have to check your contract and router to know if that is a fixed one or one that changes every couple of hours ...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do you have a router? Do all devices in your home get IP addresses automatically? If yes, then your public IP address is probably the same for all devices. But you need to configure the router to open the ports to the minecraft server instances and forward to your MineOS jail.
And if your IP address is dynamic, you need a dynamic DNS service if you want others to be able to connect to your Minecraft instance.

BakkesOffical

Dabbler
I have already set up a DNS server in my FreeNAS GUI. I am still not sure if my devices are getting their IP addresses automatically, but I guess that is the only thing that could happen. I have already port forwarded the ports but I am not sure how to test if the server actually works without asking a friend. Do you have any idea how to do it?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Connect a laptop to the Internet via mobile phone?

sretalla