How to set the self signed certificate for public IP access?

Dabbler
I set up the Certificate Authorities & certificates.
I imported the certificate.Intranet access is normal.But using public IP access is not safe.
Is it unsafe to use public IP access?
I just do a simple port forwarding on the route.
无标题.jpg

1589079648270.png

1589080242866.png

Yorick

Wizard
But not because of the cert, to clarify. It’s unsafe to expose the UI to the Internet at large because a) it uses root / password for login, though 2FA in TrueNAS Core will help with that and b) isn’t typically deployed like that, and so not designed for being exposed.

I’d expect management interfaces like this to be remote-accessed via a VPN gateway on the Internet-facing router. Inexpensive options for that are a good question - the fortigate 40f comes to mind, and, there might be even lower cost and yet solid options.
What kind of hardware do people run pfSense on? That seems like a complete solution, see https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/vpn/openvpn/openvpn-remote-access-server.html .

danb35

Hall of Famer
What kind of hardware do people run pfSense on?
Pretty much anything x86. I use the Netgate hardware, though last time I looked it had gone up $200 in price and couldn't be described as cost-effective. But units like this have been pretty popular for new hardware purchases:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Though it's worth pointing out that the actual issue is almost certainly that the public IP address isn't listed on the cert, but the private IP address is. That would explain a certificate error when accessing externally, but not internally. That's easy enough to fix by making a new cert, but it doesn't solve the problem of exposing a system that isn't designed to be on the public internet to the public internet.

Dabbler
Though it's worth pointing out that the actual issue is almost certainly that the public IP address isn't listed on the cert, but the private IP address is. That would explain a certificate error when accessing externally, but not internally. That's easy enough to fix by making a new cert, but it doesn't solve the problem of exposing a system that isn't designed to be on the public internet to the public internet.
The certificate address is the same as the actual public address. As a result, the intranet access is correct.
CN =61.XXXXX
Do you want to write the port number?
1589113433953.png

kiriak

Contributor
But not because of the cert, to clarify. It’s unsafe to expose the UI to the Internet at large because a) it uses root / password for login, though 2FA in TrueNAS Core will help with that and b) isn’t typically deployed like that, and so not designed for being exposed.

I’d expect management interfaces like this to be remote-accessed via a VPN gateway on the Internet-facing router. Inexpensive options for that are a good question - the fortigate 40f comes to mind, and, there might be even lower cost and yet solid options.
What kind of hardware do people run pfSense on? That seems like a complete solution, see https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/vpn/openvpn/openvpn-remote-access-server.html .

another option is Sophos XG firewall/router
I run it on picoPC (only 6W consumption) that is smaller than some commercial routers.
Sophos XG is free for personal use and, almost full of features but the free edition uses up to 4 cores and 6 Gb ram.
It is super easy to setup the VPN server (in reality just to setup users and permissions) and can have 2 FA if someone wants to.
Only downside (for some of us) that it is not open source.