MineOS & FreeNAS Static IP

Veggies

Cadet
Hey all, first off, I'm extremely new to all of this. I just setup my FreeNAS system a couple days ago and I got everything running just fine for what I needed, PLEX, qbittorent, and network storage access work absolutely fine. I've come across one thing that is driving me crazy, and certainly over my head. I am trying to run a minecraft server on this machine through MineOS (Which I am aware is an unofficial plugin) and can absolutely not get it to do what I want, or configure my network to do what I want. I'll start with the simple premise of what I want to do.

Goal:
Host a minecraft server for around 10 players that are OUTSIDE of my network

Steps I have taken:
DDNS/Domain for my external IP so I have constant or static domain
Port forwarding of the port that players will connect through (25565)
DDNS setup on my router & FreeNAS service
Static IP setup on FreeNAS

My issue:
When I setup the static IP on FreeNAS, obviously the plugins with DHCP enabled broke, so I reconfigured these too also have a static IP, and they work flawlessly. However, with MineOS the plugin works a bit differently than PLEX and qbittorent. It had different preconfigured options, it doesn't run off of DHCP, it runs off NAT, which I don't understand. From my deductions, so correct me if I'm wrong, but MineOS runs off the set IP of FreeNAS (They share the same IP), however MineOS is routed through a different port. So now that my static IP is setup on FreeNAS, MineOS refuses to boot. Trying to configure the plugin's options to be the same as PLEX or qbittorrent doesn't work (I don't understand why, but I get why if that makes sense, they are different.). So now I'm just sort of stuck at what to do. I am assuming that all I need is to port forward my FreeNAS internal IP to the port of 25565, enable DDNS, start up the server and people should be able to connect. The only thing stopping me is MineOS won't start. Let me know what information I need to provide and I absolutely can. Any and all help is appreciated, I thought this would be the simplest thing in my setup but it has easily become the most complicated.

Welcome to the forums!

Using NAT for MineOS is indeed the default and the easiest option to get started; all you need to do is to enter a jail name and click the save button and wait for the installation to complete.

If you want to use DHCP, uncheck NAT and check DHCP instead, enter a name a click save. Once it's created, use the address reservation on your router to assign a fixed IP of your choice and restart the jail/plugin.

The only thing stopping me is MineOS won't start.

What do you mean by that? Does it show as "up" or "down" in the plugin section of the FreeNAS WebUI? Does the Admin portal not open when clicking on the "Manage" button?

To connect to a Minecraft server from within your LAN, use the same IP address as the admin portal. Try this first.

To connect from outside your network, configure your router to forward a port, lets say 25565, to your Minecraft server (the internal IP address from above) and the port you configured in MineOS (typically 25565). The external Minecraft clients need to use your public IP or whatever the domain-name is of your Dynamic DNS service and whatever port you're forwarding. As an alternative, you can use a service such as ngrok as in this post.

Veggies

Cadet
If you want to use DHCP, uncheck NAT and check DHCP instead, enter a name a click save. Once it's created, use the address reservation on your router to assign a fixed IP of your choice and restart the jail/plugin.

Using DHCP creates a dynamic internal IP, this is something I would like to avoid so I don't have to go into my router and change the port forwarding when my server restarts. However, setting a static IP makes MineOS attempt to start up, but then immediately go down after trying, I am unable to access the admin portal. I have the settings setup the same way as qbittorent and plex and those work just fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

Veggies

Cadet
Using DHCP creates a dynamic internal IP, this is something I would like to avoid so I don't have to go into my router and change the port forwarding when my server restarts. However, setting a static IP makes MineOS attempt to start up, but then immediately go down after trying, I am unable to access the admin portal. I have the settings setup the same way as qbittorent and plex and those work just fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong with it.
Ok I figured out this portion! The default router ipv4 was set to something (127.0 something) so I changed it to auto (This is how the other jails are setup) and now the MineOS stayed up and I can access the admin portal. I'm going to forward this port on the IP for the server and hopefully it will work now.

Using DHCP creates a dynamic internal IP, this is something I would like to avoid so I don't have to go into my router and change the port forwarding when my server restarts.
That's why I suggested to reserve a fixed IP address on your router. I prefer to manage all IP addresses in a single place, but either way works.

Glad you got it to work! :grin: