How-To: Flash an LSI SAS 3008 HBA (e.g. IBM M1215) to IT mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stux

MVP
Great Article on Serve The Home:

If you are looking to get a new host bus adapter (HBA) the LSI SAS3008 controller is perhaps the most popular 12gbps SAS controller on the market. It supports features such as the LSI DataBolt which lets you utilize higher bandwidth uplinks with compatible SAS expanders and 6gbps drives. It also features significantly better performance than the SAS2008 and SAS2308 generations when using the HBA with 8x SSDs. Although there are many “RAID” enabled (IR) SAS 3008 controllers out there, oftentimes what you want is a simple HBA. For applications with software managing redundancy such as ZFS, md raid, and Ceph you will want IT firmware. IT firmware essentially allows the controller to present attached disks to the system and stops the hardware controller from getting in the way.

We commonly find the IBM M1215 for under $100
https://www.servethehome.com/flash-lsi-sas-3008-hba-e-g-ibm-m1215-mode/

Stux

MVP
I'm currently using cross-flashed M1015 and M1115 controllers. Maybe I should collect the set ;)

bonzemail

Cadet
I have read the document from serverhome, and have downloaded some of the files, however the only version that I can find the mpt3x64.rom file is the 15. Are there any more updated versions of flashing my LSI 3008 available?

Status
Not open for further replies.