SOLVED how to find physical hard disk

qq8554650

Dabbler
translation from google
As shown in the picture.
If it is reported that sda S4D0GVF2 is broken, how to know which physical hard disk it corresponds to
(In addition to shutting down to see the number)
dell r720xd ,h310 it mode
1671074039282.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As shown in the picture.
If it is reported that sda S4D0GVF2 is broken, how to know which physical hard disk it corresponds to

If you have drive activity LED's, you can generate artificial activity, either on the specified disk (if it isn't totally dead) or on all other disks.

Hard drives are generally marked on the top label with their serial number. Because of how most NAS units are built, it is a good idea to use a labelmaker to make a copy of the serial number on the front of the drive or drive tray for each disk. This allows you to visually identify the drive by serial number easily.

Drive error lights are dependent on the presence of sideband signaling, SGPIO/I2C/SES2, which is an esoteric area of discussion. When properly configured, these can be used to identify drive location with the sas2ircu or sas3ircu LOCATE subcommand.

Otherwise you're left to having to trace out cables.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you have drive activity LED's, you can generate artificial activity,
Just to elaborate that poor-man's solution:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1M count=5000 CTRL + C to stop it when you're done.

shadofall

Contributor
This may work, i know it works on my SC846 chassis with my HBA card
sas2ircu for a sas2 hba sas3ircu for a sas3

sas2ircu list
identify hba number (probably 0)
sas2ircu 0 display
find drive in list note enclosure and slot number. if its enclosure 2 slot 21
sas2ircu 0 locate 2:21 ON
and that should flash the "issue light"

sas2ircu 0 locate 2:21 OFF
to turn it back off

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Maybe we could implement this into Scale as feature?

Doesn't work reliably, it is dependent on various factors being set up correctly in the chassis (SGPIO, I2C, sideband, SES, etc). People have asked for it for years. Developers have said that they don't want to provide access to a feature like this that is rarely used but when it is used it is "life or death" because it could lead to people disconnecting an incorrect drive. TrueNAS Enterprise has tested verified support for this in the commercial product, of course.

sretalla