How to do CIFS sharing on sub dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I’m new user in forum. I start using FreeNAS 9.3 Stable. I want share folders and files using CIFS share.

Goal Want to Achieve

1. Dataset with Sub Dataset for Example Department Name than users sub dataset.
(IT (Department folder)--User1 (User folder) and User2 (User folder)

2. Mount or Map Drive on windows client using \\nasname\department\

3. After mount or map drive users can see other users folder but can’t access other users folder or files. But department admin user or group can access both users’ folders.
4. User must have full rights in their under respective folders. But he can’t delete department and subfolders.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

leenux_tux

Patron
Rajeev,

Looking at how you want to implement this, as I understand it you don't actually do "CIFS sharing" on the sub folders/directories but share one top level folder, create the sub folders you want and use Windows Folder properties dialog to add security you want for each user/group. Obviously the users/groups must be created on the FreeNAS system first other wise the security dialog in Windows will not be able to find/apply the users. Might be worth playing around with some dummy folders before hand to get a feel for how it works ?

Alternatively, is this a deployment where you do not have some sort of directory services on the network ? Windows Domain controllers for example (LDAP), or Novell Netware ? As I understand it, if you have this you should hook in the service (http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/account.html).

Status
Not open for further replies.