How to set up users home dir using CIFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to set up home shares for the users and cannot set the correct persmissions in order to gain access to my home share. Using FreeNas 9,3 stable

How should it be done?
  1. I have created a dataset called Home where I want to put the users home dirs.
  2. I have created the users dirs as sub datasets under the dataset Home. Owner and group is set to respectively user.
  3. This home dataset is set up under Sharing->Windows CIFS configured as a home share with both "Apply Default Permissions" and "Allow Guest Access" unchecked.
  4. In the user accounts I have pointed the users home folder to the users sub dataset under the Home dataset. I have set permissions to allow all for user and group. No others.
Setting unix permission on the users datasets always fails for some reasons?

How do I create user home dirs using Freenas?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Post the following:
  • Hardware specs
  • /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
  • relevant log entries from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd
  • getfacl output for directory set for homes

L

L

I typically let freenas do the setup. As you create the user and add home directory, it will create the directory with the correct permissions.

When i create the home dataset I create it as windows

I am not sure what you are asking for this
"Setting unix permission on the users datasets always fails for some reasons?"

Linda, what permissions and type do you set on the "Home" data set where all home dirs are located?

L

L

I actually use the default, because it doesn't really matter.. If this isn't the object that is shared, then i don't worry. When I share I create a new share for each home dir.

Hmm..
I have created a dataset called Filestorage where I have put other sub datasets which are sucessfully shared.
I have also created a sub dataset in FileStorage called Home where I put the users home dirs.
My users home dir is created when creating my user, but for some reason I cannot get access for my home dir.

I discovered two problems.

1. I have a DNS problem, my client computer was not registered in DNS. The solution was to disable Hostnames lookups in the CIFS service settings
2. When I created the user in Freenas, the first letter in the username was a capital letter, just like the Windows username. A home dir was also created with the exactly same spelling
However, when trying to access my home folder, samba converts the user name to only lower case. So by renaming the home dir folder to only lower case, I can now access my home dir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.