SOLVED Home shares acting wonky

Status
Not open for further replies.

td78

Cadet
Hey all,

Running 11.2 on a random platform for testing. In a nutshell:
Created a user group, created a few users with that group as the primary, no home directories specified.
Created a Windows permissions style dataset called Users. Applied the proper group, left user as root.
Shared out that dataset with the Use as home share ticked.

From a client computer I can see the homes and the %username% dynamic shares but I can't open either. Other shares work fine. I seem to be getting "canonicalize_connect_path failed for service user, path /mnt/RandomPool/Users/user" on /var/log/samba4/log.smbd every time I try to open a share. Sure enough, opening a shell and mkdir /mnt/RandomPool/Users/user fixes it, but I have to create directories for each user.

Is this the expected behavior? I seem to recall home shares working out of the box on an earlier version that was even AD joined.
Could it be a permissions issue? What am I missing?

td78

Cadet
Figured it out. I needed to specify the root of the Users dataset as a home directory during user creation. Editing it afterwards while troubleshooting will not create the subdirectory.

PS. When deleting a user, the "Keep primary group" checkbox does nothing and it gets deleted anyway. Pretty sure that's a bug.

D

dlavigne

PS. When deleting a user, the "Keep primary group" checkbox does nothing and it gets deleted anyway. Pretty sure that's a bug.

Please report that at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

tiberiu

Cadet
Figured it out. I needed to specify the root of the Users dataset as a home directory during user creation. Editing it afterwards while troubleshooting will not create the subdirectory.

Hi. Please correct me if I'm wrong . Clean install / Create volume first "x" / create dataset "x"/ add user and create home directory in "x" ? / then add windows smb share ?

Status
Not open for further replies.